Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Plastic Bucket vs. Stainless Conical?  (Read 4563 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Plastic Bucket vs. Stainless Conical?
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2020, 03:20:41 pm »
We’re the fermenters cleaned well before use?  Manufacturing can leave residual deposits that can adversely effect the beer - I am sure you know that, so forgive me asking to make sure.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2020, 04:49:12 pm »
We’re the fermenters cleaned well before use?  Manufacturing can leave residual deposits that can adversely effect the beer - I am sure you know that, so forgive me asking to make sure.

Yes, cleaned thoroughly with one-step no rinse cleaner, and then rinsed several times.
I’ll give this beer a fair chance. And, I’ll ferment one more brew in these. Just to be fair.
If I still get bad results, they will make nice buckets for my wife. Or my car wash.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2021, 04:36:16 pm »
Update:

The sample taken just now has improved dramatically. The strange off flavor and aroma that was present before has now abated.

The wort has dropped clear, and if the refractometer ABV online adjustment calculator is correct, this is sitting at 6.3%.

OG (Brix) = 14.8 / 1.061
FG  (Brix) =  7.6 / 1.013

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2021, 04:53:48 pm »
Sounds about right. For having decades of experience you have about as much patience as I do. Ha! Great news!
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2021, 05:05:09 pm »
Sounds about right. For having decades of experience you have about as much patience as I do. Ha! Great news!

Yes, I am patient most of the time. But occasionally worry and concern sets in. I need to relax, and have another beer. Come to think of it, I will!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 05:36:42 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2021, 09:15:03 am »

Yes, I am patient most of the time. But occasionally worry and concern sets in. I need to relax, and have another beer. Come to think of it, I will!

Always remember...it's only beer
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline athenagroup

• 1st Kit
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2021, 01:19:10 pm »
I like the SS Brewtech Brew Bucket for five gallon batches.   Works extremely well - easy to clean; easy to draw off test samples, and easy to harvest the yeast when fermentation is complete.

Here is a link... https://www.ssbrewtech.com/pages/brew-bucket 

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2021, 03:41:35 pm »
I like the SS Brewtech Brew Bucket for five gallon batches.   Works extremely well - easy to clean; easy to draw off test samples, and easy to harvest the yeast when fermentation is complete.

Yes, I like Delta Brewing Systems for the same reasons.
https://www.deltabrewingsystems.com/collections/bundle/products/the-double-batch

But the Plastic Genesis Fermenter is quite good. Easy to carry, easy to clean. Holds almost 7 gallons.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2021, 11:51:01 am »

Yes, I like Delta Brewing Systems for the same reasons.
https://www.deltabrewingsystems.com/collections/bundle/products/the-double-batch

But the Plastic Genesis Fermenter is quite good. Easy to carry, easy to clean. Holds almost 7 gallons.
Thanks for this link! I was thinking about getting the SS Brew Buckets but this has a few features that are extras on the other.. just need to see if I can get 2 to fit in my 7.1 chest freezer..

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2021, 01:39:29 pm »
I picked up the Ferm Tank deal and if I don't care about one being lopsided, I can fit both in my chamber

Clearly I'm not going to do that.. maybe I'll just convince myself glycol is the future with my decaying body.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2021, 11:40:17 am »
Bought 2 Genesis fermenters. They came with a bunch of bags. Drilled a hole 2" up for a spigot. Cut the top off one of the bags and put it in the fermenter. Put my arm down inside the bag and shoved some of the bag out the spigot hole. Cut a hole there for the spigot and screwed the spigot in sealing the bag to the inside of the fermenter. It is bubbling away with 6 gals of hoppy pale. I'm hoping to avoid cleaning the inside of the fermenter...at least until I run out of bags.
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2021, 05:24:00 pm »
I'm not using the bags...too much of a pain. But the Genesis product is great! Easy to carry, and they both fit in my freezer. Makes it easy to do two separate 5 gallon batches. Or one big 10 gallon batch.
For $12, with free shipping, it was a steal!