Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best method for adding sugar  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
Best method for adding sugar
« on: November 25, 2020, 05:20:00 pm »
I'm brewing a Belgian golden strong on Friday and using Turbinado sugar instead of candi. Thoughts about the best way to add it? Straight to the boil or dissolved first? Some other way? Thanks.
If reading about homebrewing is your thing, join Brewer's Book Club at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/754108348475546/

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Best method for adding sugar
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 05:25:09 pm »
I have always added it directly to the boil without any issues. I stir as I add it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 05:56:03 pm »
You can add to the boil.  Just turn off the heat until it dissolves so it doesn't burn black on the bottom.  This has happened to many people including myself and ends up being a dumper if you burn it.  Don't burn it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 06:25:00 pm »
Adding sugars only in the last 5 or 10 min of the boil, as many recipe sheets call for, is bunk. Add it pre-boil. Shut off the heat and stir while adding, as already stated. Adding it pre-boil or with 5 min left in the boil makes no difference whatsoever.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 09:51:35 pm »
I may have just gotten lucky but I have added table sugar and candi syrup directly to the fermenter.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 01:04:49 am »
When I want sugar or honey to be part of the primary fermentation, I add it at flameout.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 04:51:48 am »
Any way works, really.  I boil it in a little water and add it at high krausen, typically. YMMV, of course.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 08:53:42 am »
I'm brewing a Belgian golden strong on Friday and using Turbinado sugar instead of candi. Thoughts about the best way to add it? Straight to the boil or dissolved first? Some other way? Thanks.

Straight to the boil is what I always do.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 08:54:51 am »
I may have just gotten lucky but I have added table sugar and candi syrup directly to the fermenter.

You can certainly do that.  I have never found an advantage to it, but it doesnt hurt.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 09:12:07 am »

You can certainly do that.  I have never found an advantage to it, but it doesnt hurt.

I have definitely gotten more attenuation when I have done this before but it's been so long I need to do it again.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 10:01:59 am »

I have definitely gotten more attenuation when I have done this before but it's been so long I need to do it again.

Last time I used sugar was for a tripel using WY3787.  20% cane sugar, OG 1.076.  Sugar added at beginning of boil.  1 qt. SNS starter.  Attenuated down to 1.004.  That's enough attenuation for me!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 10:14:54 am »
I don't disagree. I actually found the attenuation was too high so stopped using it in fermenter.