Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help for scale recipe  (Read 805 times)

Offline danicomix

• Cellarman
Help for scale recipe
« on: November 28, 2020, 03:43:10 am »
Hi, I'd like to clone this recipe:

https://beerguysradio.com/2016/04/06/synesthesia-saison-recipe/

The recipe Is for 2 house boil but i've possibility to boil only for 1 hours....can you help me???
The grist Is not a problem....I'd like help for the hops!!
Thanks
Daniele

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Re: Help for scale recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 06:25:46 am »

Looks like a nice Saison ... following to see what the greybeards recommend for scaling the boil time. 

All I can think of is to (1) adjust your quantity of hops up for the shorter boil and (2) adjust your preboil volume down for less boil-off.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 06:52:03 am »
You really don't need to change the recipe at all.  It will turn out identical with no changes made.

IF you want to get picky about it:

Difference in hop utilization for the FWH from 2 hours to 1 hour boil goes from about 25% to about 23%, a factor of 25/23 = 1.09, which means if you wanted absolute identical results, you could add an extra 0.04 ounce of the FWH if you wish to get the same IBUs.  Otherwise you might see a reduction of 2 IBUs.  0.04 ounce is like 1 gram, if your scale can even measure that small (mine has trouble measuring this).  Meanwhile, human beings are unable to distinguish differences in IBUs less than about 3-4 IBUs.  So to a human being, 21 IBUs tastes exactly the same as 23 IBUs anyway.  So this whole discussion is truly a moot point.  So...

You really don't need to change the recipe at all.  It will turn out identical with no changes made.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline danicomix

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 08:51:48 am »
Hi...i think the problem was in FWH...in the recipe the FWH Is on 2 boil hours...in my recipe only in One hour....so in my recipe fwh and 60 minute are very near each other....It's a problem? A lot of people substitute 60 Min with FWH...

Offline danicomix

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 11:29:24 am »

IF you want to get picky about it:

Difference in hop utilization for the FWH from 2 hours to 1 hour boil goes from about 25% to about 23%, a factor of 25/23 = 1.09, which means if you wanted absolute identical results, you could add an extra 0.04 ounce of the FWH if you wish to get the same IBUs.  Otherwise you might see a reduction of 2 IBUs.  0.04 ounce is like 1 gram, if your scale can even measure that small (mine has trouble measuring this).  Meanwhile, human beings are unable to distinguish differences in IBUs less than about 3-4 IBUs.  So to a human being, 21 IBUs tastes exactly the same as 23 IBUs anyway.  So this whole discussion is truly a moot point.  So...

Hi...i think the problem was in FWH...in the recipe the FWH Is on 2 boil hours...in my recipe only in One hour....so in my recipe fwh and 60 minute are very near each other....It's a problem? A lot of people substitute 60 Min with FWH