Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Porcini mushrooms: quantity needed for 5-gal batch?  (Read 888 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Porcini mushrooms: quantity needed for 5-gal batch?
« on: December 12, 2020, 09:00:38 am »
Would like to try flavoring a 5-gal batch of porter or stout with porcini mushrooms if only a small quantity is needed.  They are pricey, and I wouldn't want to buy more than a couple of ounces in case I don't like the results.

However, I don't have any idea how much would be required to make a flavor impact.  If anyone has experience with them, I'd appreciate any hints or feedback regarding quantities and techniques.

Thanks in advance.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Porcini mushrooms: quantity needed for 5-gal batch?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 10:11:31 am »
I'm sure Denny will tell you if he sees your post. Otherwise, I think a search will find his Wee Shroomy recipe.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Porcini mushrooms: quantity needed for 5-gal batch?
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 10:15:45 am »
Assuming fresh, not dried, minimum of 3 lb. for a subtle flavor and 5 lb. for a more pronounced flavor.  See the article mentioned above for tips on how to process them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell