Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew 8t because you can't buy it  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Re: Brew 8t because you can't buy it
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2020, 04:32:21 pm »
As do I. 🤞 Thanks!
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline 4dogbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2020, 05:22:39 am »
Kolsch style beers. I pretty much only make them as there isn't much around here of that style. I can't figure out why it isn't more popular. I quit brewing IPA's because I am sick of them.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2020, 05:47:41 am »
Kolsch style beers. I pretty much only make them as there isn't much around here of that style. I can't figure out why it isn't more popular. I quit brewing IPA's because I am sick of them.

It is tough to find Kölsch fresh, but when I have had it fresh, it is wonderful.  I gotta make some again.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2020, 07:51:24 am »
Speaking of a kolsch. If you can find it New Holland, from Holland Michigan makes a great kolsch called Full Circle. I had the pleasure of building a powerplant there for 8 months one year and would regularly visit their brewery. Great beers

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2020, 12:13:53 pm »
<4% non-light lager beers (fermenting a ~3% porter now)

and quality stouts and especially strong stouts. ontario is a hellhole for dark beers, very few imports even though american craftbrews are right next door, and almost no one here has a decent take on any true roasted-dark beer at all.

it definitely makes sense to brew what is least available. ive almost never brewed german pilsners because there is a massive selection for almost as cheap as it would cost me to make it.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2020, 02:59:56 pm »
I brew *tons* of session beers across a variety of styles, because seriously, I just want stuff that's below 4.5%! I have even had success lately in the <4% abv range....you just can't buy many like that!
Me too.  It's one reason we brew... the beer is perfectly tailored to the target market.  Me.  And my wife and some others in the close circle as well.  I make a lot of beer that is between 4.5% and 5%.

English Ales for sure.  German and Czech lagers because they're just better when fresh.  Anything that you like that you cannot get your hands on at all.  I usually say that when I make something like that I'm making it "in the spirit of" the original since I am probably not making it exact.  Then you tweak it and it becomes yours and maybe even better than the original.  Another plus is that it's cheaper than buying those expensive imports.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.