Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Boil kettle placement  (Read 949 times)

Offline tommy24a

• 1st Kit
Boil kettle placement
« on: December 06, 2020, 03:58:06 am »
Have a Spike 20 gal BK. Have not used it yet. How hot does the bottom get? Reason I ask is building a table for it and want to make sure what material to use.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Boil kettle placement
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 05:48:43 am »
Are you asking about an electric element BK?  I have an 18 gallon electric kettle I put on a silicone baking sheet on a stainless table and it works fine.  I assume that the temp gets to about 212F with a boil in the kettle, without the silicone buffer, but I haven’t measured the table temp.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 05:59:01 am »
I have a propane burner under my BK.  The burner was setting on a wood platform.  The wood began to discolor after about a year of brewing.  So, I added ceramic tile on top of the wood.  Problem solved.  I have an induction burner under my HLT.  This burner is also on a wood platform.  I have experienced no ill affects from this burner after many years of use.

Perhaps you can be more specific with your question.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline tommy24a

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 11:25:02 am »
Are you asking about an electric element BK?  I have an 18 gallon electric kettle I put on a silicone baking sheet on a stainless table and it works fine.  I assume that the temp gets to about 212F with a boil in the kettle, without the silicone buffer, but I haven’t measured the table temp.
Yes it is a Electric BK, was concerned on setting it on wood or something else that would scorch or burn.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 12:18:16 pm »
Yeah, a plain piece of wood is an adequate insulator for an electric kettle. I use a half inch thick piece of isocyanate foam under my kettle and it’s been in service for about 7 years. No damage so far.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 12:47:06 pm »
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fleming-Supply-Black-Square-Foam-Tile-Common-2-ft-x-2-ft-Actual-24-in-x-24-in/1002634202?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-dcr-_-google-_-pla-_--_-sosindoorfurniture-_-1002634202-_-0&placeholder=null&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI24yRwI667QIVVJJbCh1aDwxNEAQYASABEgIgbPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I use these. I like because when you have spills, you can just remove one kettle and one tile to either clean or if needed replace. I am on my 2nd peice for the BK. They are water proof and easily clean

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 01:39:22 pm »
It all seems to work as Martin and HopDen indicate.  Here's the idea I was saying about silicone:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GRIDMANN-Pro-Silicone-Baking-Mat-Set-of-2-Non-Stick-Half-Sheet-16-1-2-x-11-5-8-Food-Safe-Tray-Pan-Liners/472263705

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline tommy24a

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 03:30:59 pm »
Thanks guys for the info! Great help!

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 09:01:19 am »
I found an inexpensive stainless steel restaurant table on Craigslist to use as my brew table. I'm brewing with an electric herms system and I set my HLT, MT and BK on scraps of 2x6. After three years of use there is not even a hint of heat damage or even discoloration.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato