Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry yeast for a Baltic Porter  (Read 1814 times)

Offline riceral

• Brewer
Dry yeast for a Baltic Porter
« on: December 10, 2020, 05:36:43 pm »
A friend and I are planning on brewing a Baltic Porter, 11 gallons total with each of us getting 5-5.5 gallons.

My friend is planning on using an ale yeast and I would like to use a lager yeast.

Any recommendations for a dry lager yeast?

I've used 34/70 and like it for "regular" lagers. Any thoughts on Diamond lager yeast in Baltic Porter? S-189? S-23?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 05:39:17 pm by riceral »
Ralph R.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Dry yeast for a Baltic Porter
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 06:23:17 pm »
S-189 was the yeast that Hurliman used on Samichlaus, the so-called triple Bock Christmas Beer that was around 14% ABV.  So it should easily handle a Baltic Porter....but so would 34/70 in my experience.

Good luck with your beer!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

Dry yeast for a Baltic Porter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 06:54:55 pm »
I like the thought of S-189 in a Baltic Porter.

I think 34/70 and Diamond should also work.

I don’t think S-23 would produce as nice a Baltic Porter (too fruity for me).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 07:09:53 pm by BrewBama »

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 08:13:23 pm »
I like the S-189 at least as well as the 34/70 & would think it a good choice in your porter. Ferments pretty clean, will let your malts take center stage. As pointed out, it’s from brewer of Samichlaus which would sure lead one to believe that it will perform fine in a higher ABV beer.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 09:09:14 pm »
I’ve had success using Diamond Lager for a Baltic Porter. I’m pretty sure I repitched from another lager brew, though. If your OG is pretty high you’ll want to rehydrate and probably temper the yeast by dosing in small amounts of your wort to your hydration prior to pitching.

Cheers!
Gary Glass
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 11:15:36 pm »
I was going to immediately say "S-189!!" but it looks like a few others already beat me to the punch.  That is the one yeast perfect for this style.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 11:39:00 am »
Thanks for the replies.

I'll probably go for the S-189 as my first choice.
Ralph R.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 11:41:19 am »
I was going to immediately say "S-189!!" but it looks like a few others already beat me to the punch.  That is the one yeast perfect for this style.

s-189 seems hard to come by, i thought i saw a packet pop up for sale on one online vendor i use, i checked again and it was gone a week later. sold out?

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 12:30:25 pm »

s-189 seems hard to come by, i thought i saw a packet pop up for sale on one online vendor i use, i checked again and it was gone a week later. sold out?

It's around as far as I know.  I may or may not have picked it up at MoreBeer in the past.  I occasionally shop elsewhere but that's one of my main stores, cheaper shipping than some.  I'm sure it's around other places too, just need to look.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/saflager-s189-lager-yeast-fermentis.html
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 03:41:35 pm »
The last time I looked Williams had it at a good price.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 05:28:25 pm »

My LHBS has it, and it's on sale.

https://my-site-101736-102885.square.site/product/saflager-s-189-swiss-lager-dry-beer-yeast/263?cp=true&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=60

And, if you're interested, they ship.
Ralph R.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 05:50:12 pm »

My LHBS has it, and it's on sale.

https://my-site-101736-102885.square.site/product/saflager-s-189-swiss-lager-dry-beer-yeast/263?cp=true&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=60

And, if you're interested, they ship.

thanks guiys, just checked the site i order from: https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Fermentis_S_189_Saflager_Dry_Lager_Yeast_11_5_g_p/saflager-s-189-dry-lager-yeast.htm

they have it in now. $5.39 canadian. pretty good.