Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cooling the Wort  (Read 1989 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Cooling the Wort
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 11:06:11 am »
I think Drew would tell you it works well when it's not cold.  Pasadena isn't exactly arctic!

Hey! I'll have you know, the high yesterday was only 72°F!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 11:15:32 am »
I’ve been no chilling for many years. No issues with chill haze. My garage can get to 35c in summer and I’ve fermented no chill beers up to 9 months after cubing with no issues. Really hoppy beers need some modifications but for standard hoppy beers pretty much the same ( for me anyway ). One of the best things is double batches, where you can do a blonde ale and add steeped crystal and roast malts to one of the cubes to get 2 different beers on one brew day
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 11:23:27 am »
I've done it, makes more sense on some beers as opposed to others due to handling hops. While I haven't gotten DMS it could be a potential concern to beware of depending on the malts you use, boil time, etc. If you have an IC not sure why you wouldn't just use that unless you don't like using the water.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 11:24:57 am »

If you have an IC not sure why you wouldn't just use that unless you don't like using the water.

or are being heavily encouraged not to us a lot of water.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2020, 11:25:55 am »
For me I'm trying to figure out if at all what are the benefits of using an IC. If you can make the same great beer everyone else is making and cutting out a big step out of your brew day.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2020, 12:12:54 pm »
For me I'm trying to figure out if at all what are the benefits of using an IC. If you can make the same great beer everyone else is making and cutting out a big step out of your brew day.

Because you can pitch yeast within minutes of flame out.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2020, 12:37:11 pm »
True but what's the real big difference between that and doing it 12-16 hours later if you followed all the good sanitation methods. Like I said for me personally, not that big of a difference to warrant the extra equipment and water bill. Besides of course the HDPE container which had paid for it's self already when considering the water bill. Especially if your like me and you pay a sewage bill to the township that is based on your water consumption good ol double whammy in the pocket.

Just appears to be another one of those home brewing methods that fall under the category of "we've always done it this way".

To each their own I reckon

« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 12:38:55 pm by Oiscout »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2020, 12:43:47 pm »

But if you have wort sealed in a cube you don't have to...you can wait months. If you want to.  That fits some people's schedule better.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2020, 12:44:52 pm »

And this is the main selling point for me to use an IC: being totally over and done with the brew day, and to get that batch off my mind while I plan for the next brew. But I've done no-chill before, and it works just fine. The only possible benefit of using an IC is to expose the wort to some copper to help minimize sulfur downstream. But there are other ways to do this, and I've never done a side-by-side so I have no empirical observations about whether it makes a perceivable difference. I run the cooling water off into my pool so it's not wasted.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2020, 01:24:52 pm »

The big thing you must watch for with the NO-Chill method is your hop additions and I move my bittering from 60 minutes to 40 minutes into the boil. I don't brew IPAs or any hop heavy brews so the additions are not a problem for me.

I run my wort through a sanitized strainer as it's going into the fermenter. That seems to catch most of the hop particles.  I haven't noticed any weird hop character or anything, but my beers tend to be make forward anyway.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2020, 01:40:23 pm »

And this is the main selling point for me to use an IC: being totally over and done with the brew day, and to get that batch off my mind while I plan for the next brew. ...

+1. It fits my schedule better to cool the wort within minutes, pitch the yeast, and get the fermenter in a fermentation fridge.

Three other advantages for me to IC: 1) I use the hot water I collect from the IC to clean my equipment.  2) I’ve eliminated plastics from my system. I don’t want to reintroduce any. 3) By the time the wort is cool enough to pitch yeast with no chill I have airlock activity. That makes me happy, happy, happy.

If no chill works for your schedule by all means you should use it.  No reason not to if that’s your desire.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2020, 01:58:45 pm »

And this is the main selling point for me to use an IC: being totally over and done with the brew day, and to get that batch off my mind while I plan for the next brew. ...

+1. It fits my schedule better to cool the wort within minutes, pitch the yeast, and get the fermenter in a fermentation fridge.

Three other advantages for me to IC: 1) I use the hot water I collect from the IC to clean my equipment.  2) I’ve eliminated plastics from my system. I don’t want to reintroduce any. 3) By the time the wort is cool enough to pitch yeast with no chill I have airlock activity. That makes me happy, happy, happy.

If no chill works for your schedule by all means you should use it.  No reason not to if that’s your desire.

I agree with you.  I have done no chill to find out if it works, and it does.  But I still prefer to chill.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2020, 07:26:18 pm »

Awesome, nice to see some reasons that did not  include the usuall boogeymen that accompany procedures that challenge the home brew status qou