Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 1084 - irish ale yeast- help  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Wyeast 1084 - irish ale yeast- help
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 12:45:39 pm »
I've liked the 1084 for a dry Irish stout fermented at the low end of the suggested range, around 62-63 degrees where it's given less of the ester profile and not so much diacetyl. Much warmer than that and my experience has been it starts to throw stronger flavors I don't love so much.
The main reason I bought this is yeast is because give a nice fermentation in a low temp, but I'm curious to see the flavors it given in some high temp of the range
Thanks folks, looking forward to using this yeast

I know,yiiu have supply limitations, but the nest time you're looking for a clean yeast that performs well at low temps, I recommend WY1007.
I have a similar yeast here with easy acess, but thanks for the tip, I should readed a little more, maybe a scottish ale yeast would be better

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2020, 01:04:14 pm »
I've liked the 1084 for a dry Irish stout fermented at the low end of the suggested range, around 62-63 degrees where it's given less of the ester profile and not so much diacetyl. Much warmer than that and my experience has been it starts to throw stronger flavors I don't love so much.
The main reason I bought this is yeast is because give a nice fermentation in a low temp, but I'm curious to see the flavors it given in some high temp of the range
Thanks folks, looking forward to using this yeast

I know,yiiu have supply limitations, but the nest time you're looking for a clean yeast that performs well at low temps, I recommend WY1007.
I have a similar yeast here with easy acess, but thanks for the tip, I should readed a little more, maybe a scottish ale yeast would be better

The Wyeast Scottish works well at low temps.  The White Scottish does not.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2020, 02:06:34 pm »

Good to know, thanks for pointing this out.  To re-emphasize, these two Scottish ale yeasts are completely unrelated to one another.  Similar in character perhaps, but not at all related as proven through genomic testing.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2020, 02:54:08 pm »

Good to know, thanks for pointing this out.  To re-emphasize, these two Scottish ale yeasts are completely unrelated to one another.  Similar in character perhaps, but not at all related as proven through genomic testing.

in my experience they arent that similar in flavor either. WLP028 is much more malt forward with a complex ester profile that can be oaky with a very full bodied finish. The wyeast strain is much cleaner, and lighter in body in comparison. I definitely prefer the White Labs strain.

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2020, 05:14:11 am »

in my experience they arent that similar in flavor either. WLP028 is much more malt forward with a complex ester profile that can be oaky with a very full bodied finish. The wyeast strain is much cleaner, and lighter in body in comparison. I definitely prefer the White Labs strain.

Thanks all for the replies, and damn I really shoulded pick the scottish ale from wyeast and not the irish ale, next time I pick this one