Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SN discontinues Summerfest for "Session Hazy"  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Re: SN discontinues Summerfest for "Session Hazy"
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2021, 06:56:46 am »
Are you saying that SN is discontinuing Summerfest or just the hazy version?  I used to love Sierra Nevada's Pale Bock seasonal, which morphed into Glissade Golden Bock before being discontinued.  Now, they are discontinuing their summer lager?   My guess is that the next product they discontinue will be their Pale Ale. What is their new focus?  What I have noticed because I cannot stand the smell of the compound is that most new ales tend to hopped with hops varieties that contain high levels of 4MMP.  That compound may smell dank or like black currant, pine, and assorted other aromas, but it smells like a well-used tom cat litter box.  I can smell a beer made with Simcoe from a mile away because of its high level of 4MMP.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2021, 10:39:43 am »
I don't recon I was clear -- it's a gimmick when the haze is induced by tannins simnply because people expecy or seek after "haze".

Near where I live is a very popular, but highly overrated, brewery. When you used to pour a can of their flagship hazy, at the very end of the pour, big chunks of flour would drop out. Apparently they were adding flour to the kettle to achieve the haze. It definitely worked, and the beer tasted good. But those gray chunks were gross.

But I don't see a tremendous difference between adding Tanal A vs. adding sinamar or even a fining to a beer. In all cases you're trying to achieve a visual result by adding a "non-beer" ingredient (yeah I know sinamar is derived from malt but hopefully you see my point). Or even adding 1 or 2oz. of roasted barley to the mash only to attain a deep red color.

As for gimmicky beer, the craft beer industry jumped that shark a while ago.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2021, 12:21:44 pm »
Are you saying that SN is discontinuing Summerfest or just the hazy version?  I used to love Sierra Nevada's Pale Bock seasonal, which morphed into Glissade Golden Bock before being discontinued.  Now, they are discontinuing their summer lager?   My guess is that the next product they discontinue will be their Pale Ale. What is their new focus?  What I have noticed because I cannot stand the smell of the compound is that most new ales tend to hopped with hops varieties that contain high levels of 4MMP.  That compound may smell dank or like black currant, pine, and assorted other aromas, but it smells like a well-used tom cat litter box.  I can smell a beer made with Simcoe from a mile away because of its high level of 4MMP.

I guess, ya know, you could read the article I posted?  ;) And yes they are discontinuing the Summer lager. As stated in the article I posted.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 12:24:17 pm by majorvices »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2021, 12:23:48 pm »
I don't recon I was clear -- it's a gimmick when the haze is induced by tannins simnply because people expecy or seek after "haze".

Near where I live is a very popular, but highly overrated, brewery. When you used to pour a can of their flagship hazy, at the very end of the pour, big chunks of flour would drop out. Apparently they were adding flour to the kettle to achieve the haze. It definitely worked, and the beer tasted good. But those gray chunks were gross.

But I don't see a tremendous difference between adding Tanal A vs. adding sinamar or even a fining to a beer. In all cases you're trying to achieve a visual result by adding a "non-beer" ingredient (yeah I know sinamar is derived from malt but hopefully you see my point). Or even adding 1 or 2oz. of roasted barley to the mash only to attain a deep red color.

Yeah the flour thing is gross. I know breweries that have done this as well. And you make some good points. I'm just grumpy that they are discontinuing a beer a like for basically 2 styles I don't - I'm not a huge fan of the hazy beers (even though I sometimes enjoy them when brewed properly) but I disdain "Session" IPAs.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2021, 04:54:22 pm »
Hazy hoppy beers have been a thing for seven or eight years now and existed for a lot longer so I think we're a little beyond calling them a gimmick. I do feel like we are starting to get on the backside of the fad now that we are finally seeing new west coast IPAs and APAs starting the show up. Like other craft beer fads I don't think it will ever go away completely.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2021, 05:49:02 pm »
Hazy hoppy beers have been a thing for seven or eight years now and existed for a lot longer so I think we're a little beyond calling them a gimmick. I do feel like we are starting to get on the backside of the fad now that we are finally seeing new west coast IPAs and APAs starting the show up. Like other craft beer fads I don't think it will ever go away completely.

My point was when you are only adding the haze because the haze is popular that's a gimmick. If you are brewing a hazy IPA properly it won't travel nationally (or even regionally) in package without "cheating".

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2021, 06:45:41 pm »
I don't recon I was clear -- it's a gimmick when the haze is induced by tannins simnply because people expecy or seek after "haze". Of course, I guess the same thing could be said about inducing a permanent haze in a hefe-weizen.

Regardless, I like Heady Topper and I have brewed a few hazy IPAs commercially. They aren't easy to brew and kudos to those who brew them well. But if I was going to do a mass produced one that shipped regionally in cans I'd induce the haze with Tanal A so that it could remain hazy and shelf stable.

Sorry, I got you now. I failed my Evelyn Wood speed reading course.  :P

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2021, 07:50:45 pm »

Yeah the flour thing is gross. I know breweries that have done this as well. And you make some good points. I'm just grumpy that they are discontinuing a beer a like for basically 2 styles I don't - I'm not a huge fan of the hazy beers (even though I sometimes enjoy them when brewed properly) but I disdain "Session" IPAs.

I hear ya. I loved Summerfest also. I'm grumpy too that it has been discontinued. As for Summer Break, I'll keep an open mind and give it a taste. It sounds like (and the packaging even looks like) Big Wave from Kona Brewing--which used to be a very nice beer and was sort of session IPA-ish ("used to be" being the operative phrase when it comes to Kona beers now).

I predict the next big thing in craft beer will be session double IPAs. You heard it here first!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 07:52:34 pm by RC »

narvin

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2021, 08:38:17 pm »
I don't recon I was clear -- it's a gimmick when the haze is induced by tannins simnply because people expecy or seek after "haze". Of course, I guess the same thing could be said about inducing a permanent haze in a hefe-weizen.

Regardless, I like Heady Topper and I have brewed a few hazy IPAs commercially. They aren't easy to brew and kudos to those who brew them well. But if I was going to do a mass produced one that shipped regionally in cans I'd induce the haze with Tanal A so that it could remain hazy and shelf stable.

100% this.  Kimmich didn't brew a beer to be "hazy", and if you think this is the case you don't understand the origin of the style.  This was a beer brewed to be drank fresh, with a low-medium flocculating english yeast that was typical in the brewpubs of New England over the past 30 years.  If you leave your heady in the fridge for a while, it's not particularly hazy, and aiming for this in a beer you can ship across the country is a gimmick. 

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2021, 09:23:35 am »

This guy gets it.

I think this is more disappointing because I don't think SN does well making a hazy beer. I've had the regular Somethin hazy and it's "fine". The imperial version tasted a little gross.