Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Covid19  (Read 5410 times)

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
Re: Covid19
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2020, 10:15:42 am »
My wifes grandfather is in the hospital with Covid, he contracted it at his nursing home. Due to icu capacity they have told us he will not be getting a ventilator or any extraordinary measures. He might die unnecessarily. To say I am angered and disappointed by my countries response to this pandemic is an understatement.

So very sorry to hear this. There are many heartbreaking stories to be told regarding COVID infection and deaths. In my estimation you have every reason to be angry and distressed.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2020, 03:22:09 pm »
The benefits of getting a vaccine are more than just dying or not dying. It may limit your spread or prevent you from getting seriously ill. Given that a lot of people have reported feeling awful for months, losing their sense of smell, and/or heart or lung damage (even among elite athletes), I can't imagine not getting vaccinated. The only downside I've heard is that some people have had a headache for a day or two.

I know Sweden has looked at where they're at in terms of herd immunity and determined that they're not even close. A few members of my homebrew club are in the hospital system here, and they've been seeing: staff on mandatory overtime for months, rising admissions, and staff only allowed to call in sick if they have a positive test and are symptomatic. I think deaths are going to rise over the next few weeks unfortunately.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I can tell you that here in Albuquerque our hospitals have maxed out their ICU beds for COVID patient care and physicians are prepared to execute protocols for determining COVID patent care (or not) - meaning they are at the point of having to think about who gets a ventilator or more extreme life-saving measures and who gets ranked as less likely to respond to immediate intervention and therefore left without treatment that could be critical. Not a situation we want to be in. Whatever can be done to help start to get a better handle on this thing and bring our infection numbers down is worth considering, in my opinion. This is not just info I'm getting from the news, etc. - my wife is a nurse educator at the largest local healthcare system and so is getting this info passed on directly from those on the front lines.

My wifes grandfather is in the hospital with Covid, he contracted it at his nursing home. Due to icu capacity they have told us he will not be getting a ventilator or any extraordinary measures. He might die unnecessarily. To say I am angered and disappointed by my countries response to this pandemic is an understatement.
[Edit] You're not alone.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 08:21:02 pm by Steve Ruch »
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2020, 04:08:29 pm »
Please keep this non political
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2020, 08:21:27 pm »
Please keep this non political
Fixed it.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2020, 10:10:43 am »
 :o :o :o

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2021, 12:49:52 pm »
My sister (57) received the Pfizer vaccine on 12/31. She works at a hospital. Second vaccine is scheduled 1/21. No issues other than a sore arm.

My mother and father both received the Moderna vaccine today after receiving a call from the county health department telling them they were eligible. They are 80 and 83. Their second vaccine is scheduled for 2/1. No issues to report thus far.

Looking forward to getting the vaccine as an essential worker. By my calculations in NC that will be at least May.

I still see people who are not taking the virus seriously because it hasn't affected them...yet. My aunt had it as did her elderly parents. Luckily all recovered. A HS classmate's mother and father contracted the virus. The mother is still recovering and the father died last week. I went to a rather small HS and two people who attended while I was there died in December from Covid. Three EMS I spoke with had Covid and two had to be hospitalized, luckily all recovered.

Stay safe all!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2021, 12:55:12 pm »
My young cousin, a healthy young man of about age 18, recovered fine from COVID, but then a few weeks later developed significant long term chest pains / heart problems he never had before, had to be hospitalized for that for over a week -- not hospitalized due to the flu symptoms themselves, but due to after-effects from it.  He says it feels like a truck is parked on his chest, constant pain.  His doctors are saying it is COVID related.  They say he should be close to a full recovery within about 6 months or so, hope this is true.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2021, 02:00:41 pm »
My young cousin, a healthy young man of about age 18, recovered fine from COVID, but then a few weeks later developed significant long term chest pains / heart problems he never had before, had to be hospitalized for that for over a week -- not hospitalized due to the flu symptoms themselves, but due to after-effects from it.  He says it feels like a truck is parked on his chest, constant pain.  His doctors are saying it is COVID related.  They say he should be close to a full recovery within about 6 months or so, hope this is true.

There is quite a bit of information being learned about the long term effects of COVID.  Cardiac damage is one of the big ones right now. 
Sorry to hear about his problems but happy the prognosis isn't too serious.  High performance athletes are seeing the same type of things.

Paul

Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2021, 02:13:10 pm »

There is quite a bit of information being learned about the long term effects of COVID.  Cardiac damage is one of the big ones right now. 
Sorry to hear about his problems but happy the prognosis isn't too serious.  High performance athletes are seeing the same type of things.

My cousin grew up and worked on the family farm his whole life.  He is very physically fit.  I wonder if there is some link.  Fortunately for me, if I catch the virus (which I don't intend to), I am very un-fit so maybe this won't happen to me!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2021, 02:41:17 pm »
A friend who has Covid posted this last night. I'm going to guess she is 58.

Friends - this virus is not fun!  Symptoms change daily!  Yesterday, I was queasy!  Today, I’ve coughed most of the day!  Eating food with no sense of taste or smell is really strange!  I’ve never paid so much attention to the consistency of food.  The fatigue is unreal and the day usually ends with a headache!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2021, 03:00:02 pm »
Hope your cousin recovers, from the studies I've read it sounds like most recover after 12 weeks. Good news, but thats still a long time. Talked to a club member last night who still hasn't really fully recovered his sense of smell. He lost it sometime in November.

Glad to hear folks are having a good time with the vaccine, according to the estimator I've read there's only about 10.5 million in line ahead of me in my state!

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2021, 04:15:16 am »
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline pikalika

• 1st Kit
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2021, 05:24:14 am »
Man, I don't understand why it's taking so long to vaccinate people. Maybe we should homebrew our own vaccines?  ;D

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2021, 06:55:26 am »
300 million people in US / 1 million doses per day (hopefully, maybe, someday) = 300 days. That’s ~ mid/late Oct if there are no hiccups and they reach that level of distribution.

I’ve been in many meetings with Gen Gus Perna when he was the AMC Commander here in Huntsville. He’s a smart guy and will hone in on bottlenecks and snafus, plug the holes, and move out. He has a [forceful] way of getting what he wants quickly.

Of course, they can’t give what they don’t have. Daily production has to exceed 1 million doses per day to keep up and I don’t think they’re producing to that volume yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2021, 08:32:59 am »
Man, I don't understand why it's taking so long to vaccinate people. Maybe we should homebrew our own vaccines?  ;D

I know you're kidding about this but keep in mind the companies are about 9 years ahead of the "normal" schedule for creating/approval/production of a vaccine.  The supply chain issues alone are probably daunting, much less the physical plants to actually do the production.  Moderna sold it's only production facility a couple of years ago due to financing issues.

It's a big job.  I hope the companies are up to it but this will still take a while.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?