Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Covid19  (Read 5437 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Covid19
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2021, 09:38:53 am »
The speed of the development of the vaccine and apparently its effectiveness has been amazing. It seems that the implementation has suffered from a lack of central management. The feds have told states its your deal and the states have told municipalities its your deal. Lots of unused doses so far. I do think the states will work hard to figure this out and the rate of getting these into people will improve greatly in the coming weeks.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2021, 09:57:49 am »
This American Life has a interview with one of the scientists behind it. It's a pretty engaging listen. It's in the second half of the recording below.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/727/boulder-v-hill

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2021, 04:55:16 am »
My young cousin, a healthy young man of about age 18, recovered fine from COVID, but then a few weeks later developed significant long term chest pains / heart problems he never had before, had to be hospitalized for that for over a week -- not hospitalized due to the flu symptoms themselves, but due to after-effects from it.  He says it feels like a truck is parked on his chest, constant pain.  His doctors are saying it is COVID related.  They say he should be close to a full recovery within about 6 months or so, hope this is true.

What are his comorbidities? Overweight, eats processed food, drinks alcohol etc. What are they?

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2021, 10:36:33 am »
We need to remember that the virus does not kill you.  It causes an extreme immune response known as a "cytokine storm" that kills you.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2021, 02:38:11 pm »
We need to remember that the virus does not kill you.  It causes an extreme immune response known as a "cytokine storm" that kills you.

Can you expound on this? I looked up what a cytokine storm is and my take is that it is an excess inflammatory reaction. My co-worker who contracted C-19 at the same time as I did was hospitalized and part of his therapy was steroidal. Obviously there were other therapies used in conjunction with the steroids. Im just curious as to what extent of knowledge you have with this and if possible to explain more in depth in layman's terms for the less informed including myself.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2021, 04:01:52 pm »

Can you expound on this? I looked up what a cytokine storm is and my take is that it is an excess inflammatory reaction. My co-worker who contracted C-19 at the same time as I did was hospitalized and part of his therapy was steroidal. Obviously there were other therapies used in conjunction with the steroids. Im just curious as to what extent of knowledge you have with this and if possible to explain more in depth in layman's terms for the less informed including myself.
I'm not even remotely qualified to explain, but my understanding is that a small percent of those who die from covid-19 have cytokine storm. A cytokine storm is an autoimmune reaction where the body begins to attack itself. My understanding is blood clots or respiratory issues/pneumonia occurs. Steroids are sometimes used to minimize inflammation of the lungs and mitigate respiratory issues.

https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/study-respiratory-failure-in-covid-19-patients-usually-not-driven-by-cytokine-storm/

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2021, 06:40:57 am »
Had my first dose of Moderna on Saturday and haven't grown a horn yet. Slightly disappointed as I was looking forward to using a dremel to carve designs it as it grew. Had I not had just a hint of arm soreness at the injection site I would have thought I hadn't had the injection at all. The band aid left marks on my skin, but not even a drop of blood where she put the shot.

I was worried about the potential for an allergic reaction so I signed up at our county health department office which is directly beside a hospital. Figured it was only a slight chance at best. The nurse admitting people into the room said they had seen 2 mild reactions out of the over 500 shots they have given at that location.

At the first check in the lady said I was getting the Madonna. While we laughed quite a bit at the statement together. In the back of my mind I kept thinking about what Guy Ritchie said. It was "like cuddling up to a piece of gristle." I was hoping I'd get Material Girl Madonna as opposed to 4 Minutes.  ;D
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2021, 06:44:54 am »
My first Moderna shot is scheduled for tomorrow.  Will be so happy when this is all over for me and for so many of us within about another 6 weeks (wait 4 weeks for next shot, then 2 weeks for full effectiveness).

Except in California and Illinois.   ;D ;D ;D
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2021, 08:29:10 am »
I am on three different lists.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2021, 08:38:20 am »

I was on four lists for a couple of weeks, but finally found the vaccine at a fifth place.  Don't give up, keep on looking.  I don't know when any of those others will call me if ever.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2021, 08:41:23 am »
Had my first Pfizer abkkut a week and a half ago.  Sore arm and kinda tired for about half a day the next day, but no big deal.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2021, 09:21:17 am »

My area is heavily populated so I had my doubts about getting an appointment. Tried Walgreens and that was a bust. Never was able to complete an appointment. Supposedly CVS just opened up. I tried a couple of hospitals and could not find anything open. Finally I decided to register with the County after seeing people report they had an appointment scheduled within 48 hours of registering. Sure enough within 48 hours I was able to set an appointment. Signed up with them on Tuesday night and my appointment was Saturday. I registered my wife a minute after I completed my registration and she was contacted about 72 hours later. Her shot is scheduled for later today.

I was looking at other options. Major clinics, other counties, etc. In our state the location you get the first shot dictates where and when you will receive the second. I didn't want to be more than 30 minutes from the house and also wanted to be in close proximity of a hospital.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2021, 09:40:18 am »
We got our second Pfizer shots three weeks ago.  A little sore arm for me, but my wife was sick for three days.
Now that it's done I'm getting calls a couple times a week to schedule.  It's not the most organized effort, but it is slowly happening. 
I wish everybody would get the shot so we can return to somewhat normal.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2021, 11:29:01 am »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have been able to find my wife and son spots at cvs.com.  As of just a few minutes ago they have spots in 3 cities
in Alabama. They only schedule 4 days in advance so when you see one it won’t be long to wait.

I was able to get my wife a spot in Huntsville and my son in Decatur. I got vaccinated through Huntsville Hospital a while back due teaching in person.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2021, 11:58:15 am »
I don’t think I am eligible until April 19. I am not in a huge hurry as I am able to stay safe at home and at work and I have had some allergic reactions that have been a bit exciting for my taste. I am hoping that in a couple of months that I will be able to get the shot of my choice at the doctor’s office.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.