Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cooling the Wort  (Read 1998 times)

Offline rlongaker

• 1st Kit
Cooling the Wort
« on: December 04, 2020, 10:44:05 pm »
I typically use an immersion chiller to cool the wort but wondering if anyone ever lets the boiled wort just naturally cool on its own until temp is suitable to pitch the yeast?
Any negative side effects, or specific methods you have used and been happy with?

Thank you,
Rob

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Re: Cooling the Wort
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 10:45:48 pm »
I do No-Chill with HDPE containers and have had no ill side effects off flavors or problems yet in about a total of 5 no chill brews. I have a 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon HDPE containers. I'll never go back to using an immersion chiller

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 10:52:36 pm »
I sanitize the containers, then run the boiling wort into the container and use that to kill any other nasties that may have gotten into the container. Then roll it around and lay it on its side so the boiling wort touched the cap and the handle.

Another cool thing I learned to do to save time is before you add your Hops I run off my yeast starter from the kettle into my Flask and boil it later, cool it and pitch my yeast. Now your yeast starter is ready for when your wort is cooled enough on its own to pitch it at high krausen.

The big thing you must watch for with the NO-Chill method is your hop additions and I move my bittering from 60 minutes to 40 minutes into the boil. I don't brew IPAs or any hop heavy brews so the additions are not a problem for me.

I think that's about it

Avoid ordering an HDPE container from US PLASTICS. They were s bear to deal with when I needed confirmation on the type of container they sent me  and they also sent me one without a cap. It's a shame because I do go out of my way to buy Made in the USA product.

Check out the many articles and videos available they have been doing it in Australia for a long while

My two cents

« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 10:56:30 pm by Oiscout »

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 06:17:13 am »
The Australians have perfected the technique where it originated. Denny and Drew have dabbled from what I understand as have the guys at Basic Brewing.

No chill is fairly widespread practice these days. A Google search will render numerous articles and, if you’re a visual learner like me, you tube videos.

With a few best practices it’s a very viable method to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 08:34:32 am »
"No chill method" works ... works best when it's cold outside though. And there are drawbacks like continued AA utilization and potential concerns with DMS

If you have an IC though I'm not sure why you wouldn't just use that. Super easy to sanitize and super easy to use.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 08:57:59 am »
as people said no chill works really well if its cold. i used to put it in the snow when the snow was deep.

also, it should work better for dark beers, the issues people claim with no chill are many, but one in particular is DMS.

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 09:02:25 am »
Can anybody comment on chill haze? I expect you could never get good clarity with the slow cooling.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 09:02:58 am »
Can anybody comment on chill haze? I expect you could never get good clarity with the slow cooling.

another thing about stout or very dark beers - chill haze doesnt matter.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 09:19:26 am »
I can not comment on chill haze, I brew mostly darker beers but I will say that DMS has not been a problem at all. Myself and tons of other No-Chill brewers have not experienced issues with DMS. Definitely tons of great information out there to check out before you jump in

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 09:30:05 am »
as people said no chill works really well if its cold. i used to put it in the snow when the snow was deep.

also, it should work better for dark beers, the issues people claim with no chill are many, but one in particular is DMS.

I think Drew would tell you it works well when it's not cold.  Pasadena isn't exactly arctic!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 09:30:47 am »

You get no more chill haze with no chill than you do any other way.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 09:32:02 am »

I think Drew would tell you it works well when it's not cold.  Pasadena isn't exactly arctic!
+1

« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 09:37:42 am by Oiscout »

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 09:33:15 am »
Look up the Basic Brewing channel on YouTube. They have been using the no-chill method quite regularly with a wide variety of beer styles.

https://www.youtube.com/user/basicbrewing
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 09:34:41 am »
Seems like lots of speculation, but only a few who have tried it.  You dont need cold weather.  You dont get chill haze or DMS.  Late hops do need to be treated differently than you otherwise would.  Botom line is it makes great beer, just like any number of other methods.

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files-episode-80-chill-out-or-dont
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 10:03:51 am by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 10:13:51 am »
Seems like lots of speculation, but only a few who have tried it.  You dont need cold weather.  You dont get chill haze or DMS.  Late hops do need to be treated differently than you otherwise would.  Botom line is it makes great beer, just like any number of other methods.

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files-episode-80-chill-out-or-dont
Thank you Denny,

This method has simplified my brew day exponentially and saved myself tons of money on a big bad IC (my ground water in town is around 72 degrees mostly year round). And also my water bill. If your like me and do a number of different sized batches all that water usage can really add up. And to add to the fact that your yeast starter is already taking care of basically after you finish mash out is a win win. When the beer is at pitching temp your ready to pitch that starter at high krausen and get that good start to the fermenting process.

I have experienced nothing but positives from this brew style. I don't think I'll ever go back to using an IC