Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Toasting malt  (Read 993 times)

Offline mdyer909

• Cellarman
Toasting malt
« on: December 02, 2020, 03:22:23 pm »
I’ve got a big sack of local Pilsner malt.  It’s very light.  I think the barley variety is called Newdale.  I want to make a Scottish style ale.  Not necessarily a wee heavy, but something like a McEwan or a Belhaven (which I haven’t had in years).  I have about 3 lbs of Munich malt, and a little less than a pound of black patent. 

Would you folks recommend toasting some of the Pilsner to darken it up or not bother?  If so how much?  I figure I’ll use about 12 lb of malt total for 5 gallons.  No adjuncts.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Toasting malt
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 03:34:51 pm »
For a wee heavy, I wouldn't. I'd use the Pils straight with a 1-3% addition of black. Then take the first gallon of your runnings and boil it down as far as you dare - at least to a quart or a pint left. Then dose that into the rest of the wort that you collect
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline mdyer909

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 03:54:51 pm »
Thanks, I read about that but I’m concerned about sherry like flavors in the beer which I’m not a fan of.  I don’t mind an occasional glass of good sherry though!  I’ll try a lesser reduction.  I want to slug the stuff down in January and February.  I’d been doing bocks for a couple of winters, but want to switch up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 08:10:03 am »
Thanks, I read about that but I’m concerned about sherry like flavors in the beer which I’m not a fan of.  I don’t mind an occasional glass of good sherry though!  I’ll try a lesser reduction.  I want to slug the stuff down in January and February.  I’d been doing bocks for a couple of winters, but want to switch up.

IMO, the boil down is only appropriate for a week heavy.  For a lower gravity Scottish I wouldn't recommend it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline macbrak

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 11:54:33 am »
I like to add a little victory and/or biscuit to liven up US 2row when I want to do a malt forward style and its all I have. I usually bulk buy base malt.

Offline mdyer909

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 04:00:53 pm »
I like to add a little victory and/or biscuit to liven up US 2row when I want to do a malt forward style and its all I have. I usually bulk buy base malt.

I’m thinking of using the Munich malt I’ve got to do something similar.  I’ve never toasted malt, but way back I lived next door to some Ur-hippies who brewed and I remember them roasting malt in turkey roaster pans in their Queen Atlantic wood cook stove. 

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
Toasting malt
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 07:51:49 pm »
Using a little toasted malt in a wee heavy probably isn’t to style, but you should definitely do it anyway even if you don’t use it in this beer. The aromas it creates in the kitchen are absolutely amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 08:33:17 pm by smkranz »
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 08:13:28 am »
Using a little toasted malt in a wee heavy probably isn’t to style, but you should definitely do it anyway even if you don’t use it in this beer. The aromas it creates in the kitchen are absolutely amazing.

Yeah, the time I made my own Crystal malt my house smelled fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 08:18:25 am »

Did you actually make crystal ?  Where did you get the green malt?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 09:46:36 am »

Did you actually make crystal ?  Where did you get the green malt?
I followed the procedure that was on the Basic Brewing podcast years ago that called for essentially stewing base malt in its own husks at mash temps in the oven, then raising the temps to dry it out and toast it a bit at the same time. I doubt I got anything near full conversion, but it got significantly sweeter during the mash. It ended up in the ballpark of a C40, but still retained some of the Golden Promise flavor from the base malt. It was a fun DIY experiment, and it was pretty tasty in the bitter I used it in.

But no, I did not use green malt, and it was definitely not a true crystal malt.

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer