Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Buying in bulk  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Re: Buying in bulk
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2020, 04:19:37 pm »
But I will still investigate all avenues

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2020, 04:42:57 pm »
I talked to my LHBS again today when the owner was in. I ussually BS with him when I'm in store and he said if I buy two sacks at a time he'd sell em to me 72 bucks out the door. Just give him a weeks notice

Pretty good deal. When possible support you LHBS.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2020, 04:53:39 pm »
I guess his partner who is a "silent partner" was filling in for the holidays.

They are cool hard working people a lot of knowledge and he'll tell you how it is and are super helpful

« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 04:55:12 pm by Oiscout »

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2020, 10:21:52 pm »
That's a great deal. I wish I lived near there.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2020, 10:29:05 pm »
I talked to my LHBS again today when the owner was in. I ussually BS with him when I'm in store and he said if I buy two sacks at a time he'd sell em to me 72 bucks out the door. Just give him a weeks notice

I am fortunate that my LHBS is MoreBeer! I live close to their Los Altos "showroom" and can buy there. These days I send them an order by email and they let me know when it is ready for curbside pickup, which is generally the next day. If there is something that they don't have in the store they call me on the phone and ask if it is OK to order it from the warehouse and have it with their weekly shipment (usually Friday morning). My wife and I bicycled over there today and picked up 12 pounds of grain, various hops and some yeast. Got some fresh air and exercise and the ingredients for a nice brew. You can't beat that!
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2020, 11:00:49 pm »

I am fortunate that my LHBS is MoreBeer! I live close to their Los Altos "showroom" and can buy there. These days I send them an order by email and they let me know when it is ready for curbside pickup, which is generally the next day. If there is something that they don't have in the store they call me on the phone and ask if it is OK to order it from the warehouse and have it with their weekly shipment (usually Friday morning). My wife and I bicycled over there today and picked up 12 pounds of grain, various hops and some yeast. Got some fresh air and exercise and the ingredients for a nice brew. You can't beat that!
That's awesome!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2020, 06:55:27 am »
I am fortunate that my LHBS is MoreBeer! I live close to their Los Altos "showroom" and can buy there. ...

I am jealous! MoreBeer has been my home brew shop of choice lately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2020, 08:01:39 am »
Some local breweries will do bulk buys for homebrewers. You may have to drive for it. 15 or so years ago a friend of mine used to order a pallet or two of grain through a local brewery about twice a year in Nashville. I had to drive 90 minutes to pick up my part of the order but 2 it was worth it and I'd order bulk sacks of grain to last months (I homebrewed a LOT back then lol). Wholesale malt that breweries buy is CHEAP compared to what homebrewers pay.

One of the homebrew clubs I belong to does a bulk grain buy through a local brewery once or twice a year (the brewmaster is a member of the club as well).  We get all of the malts in 50 or 55 lb bags and split it up at the brewery when it comes in.  There are those of us (like me) that get full bags of base malt when we bulk buy and we all split the shipping costs.  It works well and is reasonably priced, even with the shipping.  I get smaller amounts specialty malts from my LHBS (only 20 miles away from me) as well as Crisp Maris Otter since the brewery can't get it from their malt source.  I don't keep large bags of specialty malts around for storage reasons and because I can't use up large bags of specialty malts fast enough before they start to go slack.
If you can get your local club to consider this and work with a local brewery, this might be an option for you as well.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2020, 11:51:57 am »
That's a great idea, unfortunately the local club here is run by a fella that uses the club as his own personal political soapbox. Although I'm taking to people about starting our own in the area when this covid stuff and social distancing legislation dies down. The LHBS I do like to go to an hour away has a club that they said I can join when covid blows over