Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Fermenter  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
New Fermenter
« on: December 06, 2020, 09:11:25 am »
I'm looking to add a new fermenter, probably a metal conical (but I'm open to suggestions). I typically do 5 gallon batches and ferment in a fridge outfitted with temp control.  Amyone have any recommendations for/against specific products? Thank you.
If reading about homebrewing is your thing, join Brewer's Book Club at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/754108348475546/

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: New Fermenter
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 09:23:27 am »
https://spikebrewing.com/pages/fermenters

I use Spike fermenters and I like them very much. I have a 1BBL and a 1/2 BBL. I have been thinking about getting the flex model so I can take 5+ gallons from a 1BBL brew and experiment.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 09:55:52 am »
For all the new fermentors that have come onto the market over the last few years, I wouldn't trade my 10 gallon corny keg for any of them.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 10:12:31 am »
For all the new fermentors that have come onto the market over the last few years, I wouldn't trade my 10 gallon corny keg for any of them.

I gave up on mine in favor of a glycol jacketed conical
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 10:46:01 am »
I like my BrewBucket for it’s small footprint.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 10:56:53 am »
I like my BrewBucket for it’s small footprint.

Same here! They fit neatly into my fermentation chambers, are sturdy construction, easy to clean, nicely priced, and do well for my batch sizes.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 11:11:01 am »

Yeah, that Grainfather gear looks pretty slick, hope it's treating you well.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 11:36:17 am »

Yeah, that Grainfather gear looks pretty slick, hope it's treating you well.

It's flawless.  I haven't regretted spending the money for it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 12:14:52 pm »
I'm looking to add a new fermenter, probably a metal conical (but I'm open to suggestions). I typically do 5 gallon batches and ferment in a fridge outfitted with temp control.  Amyone have any recommendations for/against specific products? Thank you.

What do you ferment in now, and why are you thinking of going with a metal conical?

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 03:48:49 pm »

What do you ferment in now, and why are you thinking of going with a metal conical?

A plastic bucket. I am looking at stainless because it holds up well and is easy to clean. Conical because I'd like to draw to the secondary without sucking up a bunch of trub.
If reading about homebrewing is your thing, join Brewer's Book Club at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/754108348475546/

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 04:59:41 pm »

A plastic bucket. I am looking at stainless because it holds up well and is easy to clean. Conical because I'd like to draw to the secondary without sucking up a bunch of trub.

There is no need for a "secondary" when using a conical. The conical will serve as both a FV and a bride tank. Dump the yeast and other junk out through the bottom butterfly valve.

Google some videos on using conicals so you get an idea how versatile they can be.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 05:07:12 pm »

For all practical purposes, plastic holds up equally as well as SS, and, except for very few beer styles, transferring to secondary is totally unnecessary. Re: cleaning, you might not think that upon cleaning a SS fermenter's ball valve. There are valid reasons to choose SS over plastic, but these aren't those. And there are a lot of reasons to choose plastic over SS, not the least of which is that SS fermenters cost at least 10x more than plastic, but they don't necessarily make better beer.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 05:22:10 pm »
yup, im considering getting a plastic bucket not for an additional fermentor but to allow open fermentation and skim some krausen too

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 05:47:37 pm »

For all practical purposes, plastic holds up equally as well as SS, and, except for very few beer styles, transferring to secondary is totally unnecessary. Re: cleaning, you might not think that upon cleaning a SS fermenter's ball valve. There are valid reasons to choose SS over plastic, but these aren't those. And there are a lot of reasons to choose plastic over SS, not the least of which is that SS fermenters cost at least 10x more than plastic, but they don't necessarily make better beer.

Fair enough, but I'll be pleased not to be drawing up trub when I get my beer out of the fermenter,  to a secondary or otherwise.  I don't believe I will be sorry to have options that include my plastic buckets (in which I've made great beer). As a result of this post, a friend sold me his 7 gallon BrewTech for $75. Thanks for all the great feedback.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 04:55:01 am »
I have two Brewbuckets.  The only drawback is they are not pressurizable, so I just bought the Kegland Rounder for that, so with a spunding valve and floating diptube, I’m all set.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"