Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: odd Blonde Ale  (Read 1848 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
odd Blonde Ale
« on: December 12, 2019, 02:57:24 pm »
So I brewed this Blonde Ale:

https://beerandbrewing.com/make-your-best-blonde-ale/

...but I don’t get it. It’s just kinda ...weird. To be fair I did use Magnum vs Tett @ 60 but other than that followed the recipe verbatim.

Have you brewed a beer that doesn’t have off flavors but just ...it just ...is an odd flavor combination that IMO doesn’t taste good?

Maybe it’ll mellow. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: odd Blonde Ale
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 04:00:26 pm »

Have you brewed a beer that doesn’t have off flavors but just ...it just ...is an odd flavor combination that IMO doesn’t taste good?

I would just LOVE to hear from a homebrewer who hasn't.

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 04:05:20 pm »

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline tommymorris

odd Blonde Ale
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 05:19:31 pm »
I love a good Blonde Ale and order them often in craft breweries. I have found there are two kinds of Blonde Ale: those that are good and those that suck.

Personally, light and crisp with some hop flavor is where the magic is at for me. Your recipe has the hop flavor, but, the grain bill seems overly complex. 3 base malts is too much and I say big fat no to the Victory malt. I don’t like anything even remotely toasty roasty in a Blonde Ale. Yes to caramel (in moderation) no to roast/burnt toast.

When I brew a blonde ale I go with 2-row plus c10 or c20 (3-5%), 20-25 IBU and a mild to medium dose of a flavorful hop at flameout. Personally, I like the citrus and pine combination that you get from Chinook late. Deciphering that taste occupies your mind while you enjoy the pint.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 05:29:50 pm by tommymorris »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 06:09:24 pm »
I love a good Blonde Ale and order them often in craft breweries. I have found there are two kinds of Blonde Ale: those that are good and those that suck.

Personally, light and crisp with some hop flavor is where the magic is at for me. Your recipe has the hop flavor, but, the grain bill seems overly complex. 3 base malts is too much and I say big fat no to the Victory malt. I don’t like anything even remotely toasty roasty in a Blonde Ale. Yes to caramel (in moderation) no to roast/burnt toast.

When I brew a blonde ale I go with 2-row plus c10 or c20 (3-5%), 20-25 IBU and a mild to medium dose of a flavorful hop at flameout. Personally, I like the citrus and pine combination that you get from Chinook late. Deciphering that taste occupies your mind while you enjoy the pint.

While I don’t necessarily think I object to the malt, this may reside in the ‘suck’ category at this point. . I want to try it with different hops and see where it took a left turn. 

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 06:16:30 pm »

While I don’t necessarily think I object to the malt, this may reside in the ‘suck’ category at this point. . I want to try it with different hops and see where it took a left turn. 

In my humble (post a few pints) opinion, that recipe has too much going on for a Blonde Ale. Three base balts plus Victory. Three finishing hops. That is a jumble. Blonde Ales are simple intro to craft brew material. One hop is where it’s at for me. London Ale 3? I am not sure but the fruity flavors may be contributing to the complexity (aka too many flavors) also.

Simple easy drinking is where blonde ale should be. Showcase one flavor. Not 7-8.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 06:54:45 pm »
+1    Way too many grains.  I'd do 90% Pils and one kicker.  The Magnum should have helped simplify.  To me a blond is quite basic, I'd skip the dry hop too.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 07:18:31 pm »

Come to think of it, every commercial brewer surely has the same experience on a regular basis.  Hopefully, they do so on a pilot system, so customers don't have to drink their flavor fails.  We taste every batch of our own, win or lose, and can choose whether to drink or dump.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

odd Blonde Ale
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 07:20:06 pm »
In my humble (post a few pints) opinion, that recipe has too much going on for a Blonde Ale.

+1    Way too many grains. 

Yeah, it tend to agree: a jumbled mish mash. I need to get back to my more simplified roots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 07:21:05 pm »
In my humble (post a few pints) opinion, that recipe has too much going on for a Blonde Ale.

Yeah, it tend to agree: a jumbled mish mash. I need to get back to my more simplified roots.

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 07:37:13 am »
I would agree with the others that the recipe is too busy however I would consider Vienna as a specialty malt in this case. I think if the Victory was replaced with light crystal and the hops were simplified it could easily be improved.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 07:49:24 am »
I would agree with the others that the recipe is too busy however I would consider Vienna as a specialty malt in this case. I think if the Victory was replaced with light crystal and the hops were simplified it could easily be improved.

+1. The hop flavor is the issue I am having.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 08:03:19 am »

+1. The hop flavor is the issue I am having.

hmm.  simcoe and cascade is one of my favorite combos.  that grain bill has quite a bit going on.  have to wonder if the hops would present better with a more simplified grain bill.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 08:08:05 am »

THIS^^^^
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell