General Category > Beer Recipes

Porter vs. Stout

(1/3) > >>

valorian:
I'm trying to get an understanding of Stouts vs. Robust Porter. At what point does a Robust Porter Recipe become a Stout? Is it the amount of Roasted Barley used?

bluesman:
Essentially yes. A RP is a rather broad style open to brewer interpretation but it may be distinquished from Stout as lacking a STRONG roasted barley character.

anthayes:

--- Quote from: valorian on September 04, 2010, 09:24:54 AM ---At what point does a Robust Porter Recipe become a Stout? Is it the amount of Roasted Barley used?

--- End quote ---

It depends who you ask.

It is well worth reading this: http://zythophile.wordpress.com/2009/03/19/so-what-is-the-difference-between-porter-and-stout/

Modern Guinness uses roast barley. Many English stouts use black malt.

Current BJCP porter and stout style guidelines make the roast barley/black malt split. British brewers don't tend to see things that way.

Ant Hayes
Tonbridge, Kent

beerbrewingequipment:

--- Quote from: anthayes on September 04, 2010, 01:29:28 PM ---It is well worth reading this: http://zythophile.wordpress.com/2009/03/19/so-what-is-the-difference-between-porter-and-stout/

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the link.  Porter and Stout are two of my favorite styles.

Cheers!
Travis

dmtaylor:
I agree that it is primarily the BJCP that made the distinction based on level of roasted barley.  There is little other basis provided for calling these styles different.

Personally, I think the two styles are nearly one and the same.  I have had porters that are as black and roasty as midnight, and likewise I have had wimpy stouts.  Go back 100-200 years, and there might have been a more obvious difference.  Or, perhaps not.  But here in the 21st century, we're just making up our own garbage.  I think what it really comes down to is, if you think it's super dark and very roasty, call it a stout.  If you make another batch that turns out a little less roasty, you can call it your porter.  And vice versa.  It seems no one out there besides self-proclaimed snobs truly know or understand the difference.  And I fail to see why we call these two different styles.  Stout is historically the son of porter.  And yet now, porter has become the neglected relative of the more-popular stout.  So call it all stout if you want it to sell.  People just aren't as interested in your porter, even if it tastes a thousand times better than Guinness, and even though Guinness is little more than a cream ale with 3% roasted barley and/or black malt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version