Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Costco Advent Calendar  (Read 3504 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Costco Advent Calendar
« on: December 07, 2020, 05:44:58 pm »
Anyone pick up one of these?  24 16.9 oz. beers from obscure (at least I have never heard of any of them) German breweries.

This has been a holiday treat. I've given the thumbs up for 5 out of 7 so far (the 2 thumbs down were probably past their prime).

Today's beer Jubilaumsbier 333. a marzen, is exceptionally delicious and reminds me of my homebrewed Oktoberfests.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Costco Advent Calendar
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 07:05:28 pm »
Almost got one last year and when I went back it was gone. Saw it again this year but passed for some reason (probably because I already had $200+ in my cart already). Maybe next year. Glad to hear that it's worth it!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 07:40:43 pm »
We got a world whisky calendar again this year. It’s a lot of fun.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 09:09:55 pm »
Some in my club have gotten it, and it seems Aldi has a similar calendar. They've enjoyed it so far. There was a website affiliated with the Costco one, but it seemed odd. It seems like they had grabbed a website and forgetten to update it.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 09:20:18 pm »
Same thread posted 3 times.  I guess I'll copy my other response to this one since it seems to be the 1/3 that people are actually responding to.

I got one of these calendars as a gift last year.  About half of the beers were very good.  About half of the beers tasted like iron/blood.  If someone got it for me as a gift I would enjoy the half that are good.  But I won't buy it myself.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 03:05:53 pm »
Same thread posted 3 times.  I guess I'll copy my other response to this one since it seems to be the 1/3 that people are actually responding to.

I got one of these calendars as a gift last year.  About half of the beers were very good.  About half of the beers tasted like iron/blood.  If someone got it for me as a gift I would enjoy the half that are good.  But I won't buy it myself.

Weird glitch I fixed it. Thanks

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 07:01:05 pm »
My buddy got it as a gift and gave me a couple. Pils and “imperial pils” up tonight. Had no idea it was from Costco.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 08:04:02 am »
I looked for them at both Costco and Aldi and just wasn't lucky enough to find them.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 07:28:52 pm »
My buddy got it as a gift and gave me a couple. Pils and “imperial pils” up tonight. Had no idea it was from Costco.

Might not be the ones I have seen are all German Beers.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 07:32:59 pm »

They were German.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 08:55:12 am »
I looked for them at both Costco and Aldi and just wasn't lucky enough to find them.

Typical Costco. I bought mine in late September and stashed the box away in the basement. By mid October they were all gone.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 08:54:38 am »
I've always wondered where they come up with these beers nobody has ever heard of. I don't pretend like my knowledge of German breweries is extensive but I know it isn't cheap to import and license beers either. That seems like an enormous amount of work for one mix box sold per year and never seeing those brands for sale during the rest of the year. You would think if they are going through the effort of licensing the beers for sale in the calendar box they would sell more of those beers in other formats to make efficient use of that cost.

Has anybody with one of these advent calendar boxes tracked down these breweries and beers and figured out where they come from? Are they different labels/names for beers from the larger German breweries so they can fill a calendar with "different" beers?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 04:41:18 pm »

They were German.

My old brain read "IPA" and "Imperial IPA" .... don't ask me how, I have no answers.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2020, 08:04:21 pm »
I've always wondered where they come up with these beers nobody has ever heard of. I don't pretend like my knowledge of German breweries is extensive but I know it isn't cheap to import and license beers either. That seems like an enormous amount of work for one mix box sold per year and never seeing those brands for sale during the rest of the year. You would think if they are going through the effort of licensing the beers for sale in the calendar box they would sell more of those beers in other formats to make efficient use of that cost.

Has anybody with one of these advent calendar boxes tracked down these breweries and beers and figured out where they come from? Are they different labels/names for beers from the larger German breweries so they can fill a calendar with "different" beers?

Yeah, according to data available on Untappd.com, many of the beers in the calendar are contract brewed by Privatbrauerei H. Egerer.  There are others and these appear to be legit breweries, but I'm thinking it's some kind of deal Costco made with Egerer just to get a neat gift idea for this time of year.  And people buy it, in droves.  Like I said earlier, about half the beers are good and half suck.  And from what I can tell it doesn't even matter if they were Egerer or not, half their beers are good and half suck.  The ones that are bad typically taste metallic, presumably from their inferior canning or internal coating process.  But the good ones are good.

I noticed one or two of the beers this year are not German but from Austria.  If it makes a difference to anybody.  Most are from Bayern.

(I don't have the calendar -- I'm just spying on Untappd entries from a few of my friends.)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 08:12:00 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline pikalika

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 05:18:10 am »
One of my friends got a raki calendar from Turkey. It's such an interesting one!