Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Costco Advent Calendar  (Read 3502 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Costco Advent Calendar
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2021, 10:22:37 am »
Woo hoo! It's December 1 again!

I pulled the first beer out of the box this morning to chill. Grantler Hell from a Bavarian brewery that was founded in 1183.

I'm looking forward to a month of German beer.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2021, 08:17:08 pm »
I saw it and skipped it. It seemed a little pricey for a box of German beer. Hopefully you'll report if that was a bad decision.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2021, 01:42:44 pm »
Thus far they have been pretty darn good. Four Helles, a festbier, a Kellerbier, and my favorite this far, Der Schwarze Bock from Kraftbierwerkstatt which is a pretty tasty dark lager.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2021, 08:15:35 pm »
Thus far they have been pretty darn good. Four Helles, a festbier, a Kellerbier, and my favorite this far, Der Schwarze Bock from Kraftbierwerkstatt which is a pretty tasty dark lager.
Some club members have this one or the ALDI one. Kind of seems odd that the costco is mostly German beers and Aldi has a lot of IPA.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2021, 01:56:41 pm »
I had to look up what an ALDI is. Never heard of it.

I'm glad the Costco German beer calendar is not full of IPA. Yesterday's beer was an IPA, and it was terrible. Worst beer so far.

I don't think the Germans like hops.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2022, 10:40:21 am »
This year's Costco German beer advent calendar has been pretty good this year. Only one oxidized beer so far - a hefeweizen, which I suppose isn't too surprising as this is a style best fresh.

Most memorable beer thus far was a stout. I just pulled today's beer out and it is my old favorite Der Schwarze Bock.

My only knock on the calendar is that most of the beers are helles. Which would be fine in the summer, but here in Montana in December I like a little bit more substance in my beer this time of year.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2023, 12:49:37 pm »
Day 6 of the Costco German beer advent calendar. Tonight's beer is a marzenbier. Looking forward to it.

So far it has been three helles, one kellerbier, and one dunkelwiezen. The helles has all been solid, especially the first one which was labeled as an Export Helles. A little hoppier than the other two, but still with the exceptional malt  flavor. Very nice.

I was in Costco last week and they had received another batch of calendars, but marked $10 off since Advent season had arrived. So I bought another. Since my fine bottle shop closed, its very hard to find imported beer where I live, so I will take it.

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2023, 03:03:43 pm »
Day 6 of the Costco German beer advent calendar. Tonight's beer is a marzenbier. Looking forward to it.

So far it has been three helles, one kellerbier, and one dunkelwiezen. The helles has all been solid, especially the first one which was labeled as an Export Helles. A little hoppier than the other two, but still with the exceptional malt  flavor. Very nice.

I was in Costco last week and they had received another batch of calendars, but marked $10 off since Advent season had arrived. So I bought another. Since my fine bottle shop closed, its very hard to find imported beer where I live, so I will take it.

Thanks for the mention, chumley.  Helles is a style I have little experience with (drinking) and I think I am going to try my hand making one or two this winter.  Having a bunch of solid-quality samples to try will help me hone in what I'm looking to create.  Here's hoping my Costco still has some of the advents available.  I've never bought one.

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2023, 07:07:35 am »
Thanks chumley - our Costco had a few of them in stock, and for only $29.99!!  I'm guessing it must be a drastic mark-down for being a week into December already; at just $1.20 per beer that is a tremendous bargain.  Imagine my surprise that they are the larger size cans too.

At that price, I may need to go buy a couple more. :D

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2023, 02:11:57 pm »
That's half off the original price of $59.99 - an excellent deal.