Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Repackaging DME  (Read 4357 times)

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
Repackaging DME
« on: December 10, 2020, 07:18:38 am »
My LHBS started to purchase 55 lb. DME containers and repackage it into zip lock bags.

I don't like this as I don't believe it to be as sanitary as the manufacturers processes.

It also exposes the DME to the environment (oxidation?).

Is there that much cost savings as opposed to just selling the manufacturers 1lb and 3lb bags?

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Repackaging DME
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 07:35:30 am »
That's a common practice, especially with larger shops, although most heat seal the bags they package it in. The cost of buying in bulk is considerably lower. Whether some of the savings is reflected in your cost is another question. DME is very shelf stable, so if it wasn't exposed to humid conditions or stored in an unsealed container, it should be fine.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 07:40:24 am »
Sanitation is not an issue. If they keep it dry it should be fine. As you mentioned in another thread it is hygroscopic so if it is being filled and a substatial amount of moisture is present then it may cause a problem. If not then it is probably pretty shelf stable.

It's probably a huge cost savings for the LHBS. As would be repacking grain from 50 or 55 lb sacks.

Personally, if you are that concerned about it why not consider going All Grain? Way cheaper and much better control.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 07:43:35 am by majorvices »

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 07:45:56 am »
I do all grain and extract and partial mash, etc...

I just don't trust it and won't buy it from them again, something about them handling it doesn't sit well with me.  (As opposed to a sanitary machine packaged product.)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 08:30:21 am »

I just don't trust it and won't buy it from them again, something about them handling it doesn't sit well with me.  (As opposed to a sanitary machine packaged product.)
Do you buy all your grain by the full sack? How is repackaged DME different than repackaged grain?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 08:32:53 am »
Uncrushed grain isn't a readily consumable food product.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 08:54:56 am »
There is no sanitation concern. I've been buying repackaged DME for over 20 years.  DME has nothing that can be oxidized.  Your concerns are not warranted.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 09:04:43 am »

I would adjust your statement to "Uncrushed grain is not a generally, desirable consumable food product". 

By that, I mean that you can readily eat malted, uncrushed grain and many people (including me) do in order to evaluate flavor profiles and such.  The husk materials would deter most people from sitting down to a full bowl for breakfast though.  Your digestive system can process it with no real issues, just like any other grain product.

I know it's kinda of nit-picky and I don't mean to start a fight, no offense is intended.

As for DME, I agree that as long as it is handled in a clean, sanitary environment and sealed from moisture uptake, it should be shelf stable for very long timeframes. 
The biggest concern for me would be the accuracy of the packing measurements.  I don't mind getting 1.1lbs but might be a bit unhappy if I consistently received .9lbs when paying for 1lb.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 09:10:50 am »

I would adjust your statement to "Uncrushed grain is not a generally, desirable consumable food product". 

By that, I mean that you can readily eat malted, uncrushed grain and many people (including me) do in order to evaluate flavor profiles and such.  The husk materials would deter most people from sitting down to a full bowl for breakfast though.  Your digestive system can process it with no real issues, just like any other grain product.

I know it's kinda of nit-picky and I don't mean to start a fight, no offense is intended.

As for DME, I agree that as long as it is handled in a clean, sanitary environment and sealed from moisture uptake, it should be shelf stable for very long timeframes. 
The biggest concern for me would be the accuracy of the packing measurements.  I don't mind getting 1.1lbs but might be a bit unhappy if I consistently received .9lbs when paying for 1lb.

Paul

I have concerns about weight measure also.

I guess the question is would you rather eat a bowl full of malted uncrushed barley that the guy at the LHBS sneezed and coughed into or a bowl of DME that the guy at the LHBS picked his nose into?

A DME packaging machine at a malt plant doesn't do those things and the folks who work there must wear masks and suits etc... because it's a food product.

Does your local LHBS guy wear a mask and wash their hands when he's repackaging the DME?  Or does he drop 5 lbs on the floor and push it back into his sandwich bag that then sits on his shelf for months?

AFAIK - LHBS aren't license and controlled / inspected repackaging facilities.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 09:16:16 am by rungdalek »

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 09:22:20 am »
Many, many products we use are repackaged from bulk. Grain, hops, minerals, additives, etc. I imagine DME is no exception.

It wouldn’t surprise me if one division of a mfr (Briess,  Munton’s, etc) receives bulk packages of DME from another division in the company and repackages it. Many online vendors (More Beer, Northern Brewer, etc) do it. ...the same way your LHBS does.

I would recommend they repackage under vacuum in airtight packaging to eliminate moisture so they don’t end up with solid DME bricks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 09:31:27 am »
Many, many products we use are repackaged from bulk. Grain, hops, minerals, additives, etc. I imagine DME is no exception.

It wouldn’t surprise me if one division of a mfr (Briess,  Munton’s, etc) receives bulk packages of DME from another division in the company and repackages it. Many online vendors (More Beer, Northern Brewer, etc) do it. ...the same way your LHBS does.

I would recommend they repackage under vacuum in airtight packaging to eliminate moisture so they don’t end up with solid DME bricks.

True, but there's a difference between DME being re-packaged in a process controlled and inspected factility vs. some guy in the back room of an LHBS who is held to no standard but his own.

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2020, 10:02:41 am »

But you have no issues with them doing that to grains? Pretty much the same process.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2020, 10:08:45 am »

True, but there's a difference between DME being re-packaged in a process controlled and inspected factility vs. some guy in the back room of an LHBS who is held to no standard but his own.

Let's keep in mind we are discussing a product that is generally going to be boiled for more than 10 minutes during it's use. 

I may be naïve but I don't generally assume the proprietor of my LHBS is doing anything willful to hurt their customers.  I assume they try to produce products that they would like to buy if the roles were reversed.  Could some level of contamination be introduced? Sure.  But being licensed and inspected doesn't prevent that either.  Don't ever look into hotdog and sausage production or restaurants if you don't want to see egregious violations of inspection rules.

Your uncrushed, malted, grain probably had numerous uninvited visitors, with 4 or 6 legs, on it prior to the manufacturer getting it in to a bag.  I don't mean to be gross or scare people but farms are dirty places.  Factory equipment can get contaminated and workers can make mistakes or take shortcuts.  It's a question of how hard you want to think about it.  While risks will always exist, they are generally minimal.

Unless you have had a bad experience with contaminated DME this seems like something that doesn't pose much of a risk in my opinion.

YMMV

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2020, 10:09:34 am »

But you have no issues with them doing that to grains? Pretty much the same process.

They sell me a sack of grain, which was filled by a machine at a malting plant.  Again, uncrushed malted barley is not a readily consumable food product.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2020, 10:09:52 am »
Are you brewing with DME or making maltec milkshakes? First example gets boiled, second does not.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!