Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Split Belgian batch  (Read 2616 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Split Belgian batch
« on: December 10, 2020, 09:16:11 am »
I am planning on brewing 10 gallons of Belgian-style ale tomorrow.  I have starters of WY3522 (LaChouffe) and WY1762 (Rochefort) ready to go.

What I would like to end up with, is 5 gallons of Blond (3522) and 5 gallons of Brune (1762). Aiming for around a 6.5% abv when done.

My plan is to brew a base beer with mostly pilsner malt, with a little biscuit and aromatic. Chill the wort, transfer into each fermenter, and pitch each with the two yeasts.

Once active fermentation begins, I plan to soak two 1-lb. packets of clear Belgian candi syrup and two 1-lb. packets of dark Belgian candi syrup in boiling hot water to get the syrup to lower its viscosity. Then add them each to their respective fermenters. My thoughts is that with the fluid syrup and the churning action of active fermentation, the syrup would dissolve in the fermenting wort instead of puddling in the bottom of the fermenter.

Thoughts? Suggestions of a better way? And no, I don't want to brew two separate 5 gallon batches because I am lazy.

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Split Belgian batch
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 10:06:00 am »
My only concern might be the temperature of the candi when added affecting the yeast and fermentation temperature. Otherwise, sounds like a plan.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 10:09:27 am »
My only concern might be the temperature of the candi when added affecting the yeast and fermentation temperature. Otherwise, sounds like a plan.

Can't imagine that small amount of syrup would have much effect in 5 gal. of wort.  Go for it, chumley
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 10:11:02 am »
Why not just add the sugar to the kettle during the boil?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 10:12:08 am »

Because he's making one batch of wort, but wants to end up with 2 different beers

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 10:14:42 am »

Because he's making one batch of wort, but wants to end up with 2 different beers
Ah yes, I read that too quickly. Ignore my comment. Happy sugaring!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 12:40:42 pm »
I am planning on brewing 10 gallons of Belgian-style ale tomorrow.  I have starters of WY3522 (LaChouffe) and WY1762 (Rochefort) ready to go.

What I would like to end up with, is 5 gallons of Blond (3522) and 5 gallons of Brune (1762). Aiming for around a 6.5% abv when done.

My plan is to brew a base beer with mostly pilsner malt, with a little biscuit and aromatic. Chill the wort, transfer into each fermenter, and pitch each with the two yeasts.

Once active fermentation begins, I plan to soak two 1-lb. packets of clear Belgian candi syrup and two 1-lb. packets of dark Belgian candi syrup in boiling hot water to get the syrup to lower its viscosity. Then add them each to their respective fermenters. My thoughts is that with the fluid syrup and the churning action of active fermentation, the syrup would dissolve in the fermenting wort instead of puddling in the bottom of the fermenter.

Thoughts? Suggestions of a better way? And no, I don't want to brew two separate 5 gallon batches because I am lazy.

i think those yeasts will be vigorously churning enough to encourage mixing of these sugars, if you add while fermentation is visibly very active. hope it works out, as i like ideas like this. 2 for 1

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 01:51:52 pm »
Thanks for the input, everyone. I am going for it.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 03:39:05 pm »
I like to do additives like that at high krausen and have found no problems doing it that way.  The yeast will find it wherever it ends up....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 10:18:08 am »
I typically add a package of candy syrup straight into fermenter after 3 or 4 days and it works well.  Never bothered heating it up.
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 10:46:58 am »
I typically add a package of candy syrup straight into fermenter after 3 or 4 days and it works well.  Never bothered heating it up.

One reason I like adding it to the kettle is that you can put a bit of hot wort into the paciiage to rinse it put.  That and it gets it over with so I don't have to deal with it later.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020, 10:54:22 am »

One reason I like adding it to the kettle is that you can put a bit of hot wort into the paciiage to rinse it put.  That and it gets it over with so I don't have to deal with it later.
I like your process of getting every last bit of sugar!  I started adding the sugar to the fermenter because certain Belgian strains struggle to attenuate completely and by adding the sugar after fermentation begins to slow can help keep the yeast active.

On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 12:09:41 pm »

I like your process of getting every last bit of sugar!  I started adding the sugar to the fermenter because certain Belgian strains struggle to attenuate completely and by adding the sugar after fermentation begins to slow can help keep the yeast active.

I mainly use 3787, 1762 and 3522.  None of them have trouble with  sugar in the kettle.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 04:03:24 pm »
Update:  This worked exceptionally well.  the blond with WY3522 is excellent, while the brune with the WY1722 reminds me of Rochefort 6. Very pleased with the results and I will likely do this again. Probably try WY3787 instead of WY3522 next time.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 07:57:16 pm »
Update:  This worked exceptionally well.  the blond with WY3522 is excellent, while the brune with the WY1722 reminds me of Rochefort 6. Very pleased with the results and I will likely do this again. Probably try WY3787 instead of WY3522 next time.

thanks for the results you mean wy1762? that is the rochefort yeast?

any attenuation/flavour stats etc that were different from the wyeast guidelines?