Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I guess I've been pouring my draft beer wrong all along  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Chief Illiniwek

• 1st Kit
I guess I've been pouring my draft beer wrong all along
« on: March 09, 2021, 06:53:46 am »
Saw this posted on another board I frequent (nothing to do with beer).  Have any others heard of this change in how to pour.  I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years doing the 45 degree to 90 degree transition pour.   Foaming as much as possible is usually a bad thing in my view.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pour straight down the middle to foam as much as possible

It releases the carbonation in the beer, which

1. Takes the excess carbonation out of the liquid so that when you drink that liquid it doesn’t end up as a bunch of extra gas in your stomach, so you feel less bloated. This also means you can drink more and not feel like s***.

2. Releasing the excess carbonation releases more of the scent of the beer. Since a lot of our taste is actually because of smell, your beer will taste better.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: I guess I've been pouring my draft beer wrong all along
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 08:02:45 am »
https://youtu.be/1xnFq01TMPQ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 08:19:12 am »
If the glass was straight (90°) I would get a good amount of foam depending on the beer.  I generally hold the glass at 45 until I risk spilling beer and then straighten the glass.  Sometimes I can just put the glass on the drip tray and tap into it but it's going to be foamy for sure.  +1 to BB's video (for multiple reasons) but the foam on a Bud is going to be gone in about 6 seconds so there is really no reason to worry.  :P
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 08:31:08 am »
Saw this posted on another board I frequent (nothing to do with beer).  Have any others heard of this change in how to pour.  I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years doing the 45 degree to 90 degree transition pour.   Foaming as much as possible is usually a bad thing in my view.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pour straight down the middle to foam as much as possible

It releases the carbonation in the beer, which

1. Takes the excess carbonation out of the liquid so that when you drink that liquid it doesn’t end up as a bunch of extra gas in your stomach, so you feel less bloated. This also means you can drink more and not feel like s***.

2. Releasing the excess carbonation releases more of the scent of the beer. Since a lot of our taste is actually because of smell, your beer will taste better.

Actually, that's always been the advice on how to pour since I started brewing 23 years ago.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 09:31:43 am »
You can still find some places in Germany that do that, the seven minute pouf for a Pilsner. It is less common than on my first visit in 1989.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

narvin

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 10:08:47 am »
That's how I pour a bottle.  For draft my system knocks plenty of CO2 out without encouraging more. YMMV.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 10:28:49 am »
That's how I pour a bottle.  For draft my system knocks plenty of CO2 out without encouraging more. YMMV.

I've seen that for pouring from bottles also.  Doing that from my taps I would get nothing but foam.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 10:31:06 am »
I have seen that advice a lot but my personal preference is to leave the carbonation in the beer. I don’t like to knock it all out with an aggressive pour, that makes it taste flat to me. Also, I want a glass full of liquid beer not foam. But, that’s just me and the British :)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 11:02:33 am »
I have seen that advice a lot but my personal preference is to leave the carbonation in the beer. I don’t like to knock it all out with an aggressive pour, that makes it taste flat to me. Also, I want a glass full of liquid beer not foam. But, that’s just me and the British :)

And that's the bottom line...do it the way you like it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 02:02:10 pm »
And I tend to pour into a small pitcher and then to glasses.  It is much easier to get the foam in the glass to the level I want, regardless of where I am relative to multiple pours at the moment from the tap.  Some people really like to pour off the taps, but 7-9 out of 10 end up splashing a fair amount of beer into the drip tray or leave the tap running to a point of way overflowing, at which point I offer to pour their beers from the pitchers.  It happens with cobra taps, too, unfortunately.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2021, 10:26:50 am »
I have a hard enough time trying to get beer drinkers to actually drink from a glass let alone pour properly. I bottle, so I tend to explain that it will taste better if poured in a glass. My in-laws who are wine drinkers understood a little better when I stated “ Do you drink your wine from the bottle? Then you should not drink your beer from the bottle for the same reasons”.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”