Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Split Belgian batch  (Read 2578 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Split Belgian batch
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 01:07:06 pm »
Yes, WY1762 is the Rochefort yeast. This beer seemed to taste a lot more like Rochefort than previous attempts to try to clone Rochefort that had crystal malts like Caramunich and Special B in it.

I didn't measure any gravities so I have no idea what attenuation I got. Would have been a guesstimate anyways since I added sugar to the fermentors.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2021, 01:19:13 pm »
Yes, WY1762 is the Rochefort yeast. This beer seemed to taste a lot more like Rochefort than previous attempts to try to clone Rochefort that had crystal malts like Caramunich and Special B in it.

I didn't measure any gravities so I have no idea what attenuation I got. Would have been a guesstimate anyways since I added sugar to the fermentors.

I have found that it's the candi syrup that makes the difference
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2021, 04:32:33 pm »
This information is very timely with the invert syrup thread going on.  I have never been one to shy away from using adjuncts, including sugar.  My problem with most Belgians is that I am very sensitive to phenolics.  Duvel is at my threshold for phenolics.  I can drink Victory Golden Monkey, but that beer is tame by Belgian standards with respect to phenolics. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2021, 02:23:30 am »
This information is very timely with the invert syrup thread going on.  I have never been one to shy away from using adjuncts, including sugar.  My problem with most Belgians is that I am very sensitive to phenolics.  Duvel is at my threshold for phenolics.  I can drink Victory Golden Monkey, but that beer is tame by Belgian standards with respect to phenolics.
WY1762 is probably a good choice for you. I find it to be relatively clean on phenolics when fermented in the mid/upper 60's. This strain immediately comes to mind when the topic of English ale strains being related to Belgian ones comes up. I have used this a few times in English Barleywines, and you would only know it was a Belgian yeast if you knew to look for that fairly distinct, dark fruit/Rochefort flavor. I've always had it on my "to do" list to try 1762 in some more typical English styles just to see what it does at lower abv's.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2021, 09:34:06 am »

WY1762 is probably a good choice for you. I find it to be relatively clean on phenolics when fermented in the mid/upper 60's. This strain immediately comes to mind when the topic of English ale strains being related to Belgian ones comes up. I have used this a few times in English Barleywines, and you would only know it was a Belgian yeast if you knew to look for that fairly distinct, dark fruit/Rochefort flavor. I've always had it on my "to do" list to try 1762 in some more typical English styles just to see what it does at lower abv's.

that taste is an accurate description. as lore says rochefort got this strain from england a while ago, but has it mutated since then in belgium or is it more than one yeast?

if one got a dark and strong rochefort 8 or 10 from the store and it was labelled "someplaceinenglandshire strong old ale" one wouldn't totally question that i think

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2021, 09:54:37 am »

that taste is an accurate description. as lore says rochefort got this strain from england a while ago, but has it mutated since then in belgium or is it more than one yeast?

if one got a dark and strong rochefort 8 or 10 from the store and it was labelled "someplaceinenglandshire strong old ale" one wouldn't totally question that i think

You aren't thinking of Duvel are you?  That is supposedly the origin of their yeast, but I hadn't heard that about Rochefort.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2021, 12:30:32 pm »

You aren't thinking of Duvel are you?  That is supposedly the origin of their yeast, but I hadn't heard that about Rochefort.
I'm with you - I've heard that about Duvel, but I hadn't heard that about Rochefort.

That being said, I just took a look at the yeast strain tree on suregork's site, and I noticed WLP540 (Abbey IV) is in the middle of the United Kingdom branch of the tree. WLP540 is supposedly White Lab's Rochefort strain, and supposedly equivalent to WY1762. This makes a lot of sense to me from a flavor perspective. I think this might bump my 1762/English ale experiment higher up my "to do" list.
Eric B.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2021, 09:56:46 pm »
yup.

someone in the other forum (the big forum) said

"Yep, the Belgians are a bit of a mess, I think the most interesting one is WLP540. The Ardennes wasn't the best place to be in WWII if you wanted a quiet life, and Rochefort struggled in the aftermath. They got help from Chimay and used their yeast for a bit, then got a consultant in who found them a new yeast from Palm. So WLP540 seems to be a close relative of Ringwood, that's more fruity, less fusely and much more alcohol-tolerant. Works for me."

as well as the sure gork "map"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2021, 11:23:50 am »
yup.

"Yep, the Belgians are a bit of a mess, I think the most interesting one is WLP540. The Ardennes wasn't the best place to be in WWII if you wanted a quiet life, and Rochefort struggled in the aftermath. They got help from Chimay and used their yeast for a bit, then got a consultant in who found them a new yeast from Palm. So WLP540 seems to be a close relative of Ringwood, that's more fruity, less fusely and much more alcohol-tolerant. Works for me."

Digging deeper into the map a bit, WLP838, a lager(?) strain, is pretty close on the tree to 540. I'm wondering if the Rochefort strain can put out a faux lager using a big, well oxygenated pitch that is fermented cold. I'll have to include that in my next go round with this yeast.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2021, 11:41:53 am »
yup.

Digging deeper into the map a bit, WLP838, a lager(?) strain, is pretty close on the tree to 540. I'm wondering if the Rochefort strain can put out a faux lager using a big, well oxygenated pitch that is fermented cold. I'll have to include that in my next go round with this yeast.

That's how I always ferment 1762 and I guarantee it would make a very unlagerlike lager

www.dennybrew.com

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2021, 02:24:21 pm »
yup.

That's how I always ferment 1762 and I guarantee it would make a very unlagerlike lager

? you ferment it in the 50s or so? how does it turn out?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2021, 02:43:48 pm »
yup.

Start at 58 the last couple times, so I retract the "always".  Turns out like Rochefort.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2021, 07:55:39 pm »
yup.

Start at 58 the last couple times, so I retract the "always".  Turns out like Rochefort.

thanks, appreciated. i struggle with belgian yeasts.