Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermenting Fridge  (Read 953 times)

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
Fermenting Fridge
« on: December 10, 2020, 03:41:12 pm »
My fermenting fridge (an old fridge on bottom and freezer on top with a Rainbird) is struggling with its current job. I am trying to max out fermentation on a Belgian yeast and it just can't keep up. It will hold a steady 72, but 73 is a real struggle. I am using a light with a reflector to heat it, and I think that's the issue. Besides which, I am worried that the light may be damaging my beer in the bucket. Anyone have a good solution for heating a fridge?
If reading about homebrewing is your thing, join Brewer's Book Club at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/754108348475546/

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Fermenting Fridge
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 05:55:48 am »
Incandescent light won't hurt your beer. The simplest solution would be to use a bigger light bulb. Higher wattage = more heat.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 08:40:00 am »
In terms of your beer 72 vs. 73 makes absolutely no difference . The yeast doesn't have a thermometer.  If you feel the end to heat it up more, get a reptile heater bulb.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 08:41:35 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 09:15:12 am »
I use a small electric space heater that draws only 250 watts.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 10:13:52 am »
I use a small electric space heater that draws only 250 watts.
I use the same and it works well
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 04:19:45 am »
In terms of your beer 72 vs. 73 makes absolutely no difference . The yeast doesn't have a thermometer.  If you feel the end to heat it up more, get a reptile heater bulb.

My yeast think you quite presumptuous to assume they don't own a thermometer. Don't shoot the messenger,   but they told me to tell you that they want it 74 so speak for your own yeast. As I am essentially just a golem doing the will of my yeast, I purchased a heat lamp bulb for them, and now we're all happier. Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
If reading about homebrewing is your thing, join Brewer's Book Club at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/754108348475546/

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 08:44:12 am »
I use a trouble light on top of perforated grilling screen to diffuse the heat and it works for me.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!