Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mark's Keg Washer Pump Replacement  (Read 1294 times)

Offline NadoBrew

• 1st Kit
Mark's Keg Washer Pump Replacement
« on: December 11, 2020, 04:43:38 pm »
I need a new pump for my Mark's Keg Washer. The magnetic shaft is completely broken and I could not fix it.

I bought a 440 gph pump, but the output was not strong enough to clean both the keg and keg posts (I use the HomeBrewStuff ball-lock cleaning connection).

I also would possibly like an upgrade in output over the pump included in the Mark's Keg Washer that would fit the mold.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Mark's Keg Washer Pump Replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 05:19:07 pm »
In 2015 Mark said the below on HBT. I hope this helps you:

“This is Mark from Mark's Keg Washer. There is a one-year warranty on the pump, so if you had a problem before that, get in touch. Also, if you are out of warranty and want a new pump, I can get one to you for $35 which includes postage (send me an email with serial number on the pump and date of purchase to mark@kegwasher.com).

Sometimes, you can get the pump going again:

Take the pump apart and inspect it, loosen the impeller from the magnet, and put it back together again. It might come back to life.

Pop off the front cover, stick your fingers in the spokes of the impeller housing and twist counterclockwise about 1/4 turn. The whole thing should come apart.

Remove the impeller/magnet from the axle (don't lose the little rubber tip that comes on the end of the axle). The impeller has almost half a turn of play between it and the magnet before it hits a stop. It should be fairly loose. If the impeller isn't loose, rotate it back and forth on the magnet till it loosens up a bit. Some people have even used food grade silicone to get it to rotate better.

Note: the magnet and impeller are one assembly, they don't come apart. If they are in 2 parts, then it is broken and needs replacement.

I'm not sure how the impeller and magnet work together, but I have seen that if they are too stiff, the pump wont work.

Let me know how it works for you or if something inside is broken. Most of the time, when a pump stops working, it's the impeller.

I have also seen people lose the little rubber tips which hold the axle on the center axis. Unfortunately, I don't have spare rubber tips. I have seen the little rubber tip fold over in the impeller cover which also causes the pump not to work.

One last thing, sometimes people use really hot water with the pbw and it triggers the thermal switch in the pump. If that happens, unplug, let it cool for a while and it will jump back to life. The coils in the pump are cooled by the water going through the pump, so if the water is really hot, problems occur. Using hot water out of the tap doesn't seem to be a problem

The pumps are fairly simple and really tough, not a lot of things can go wrong with them.

Mark”
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 05:33:34 pm by BrewBama »

narvin

Re: Mark's Keg Washer Pump Replacement
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 05:59:42 pm »
I built my own keg washer and carboy cleaner using this pump and it's more than sufficient:

https://www.amazon.com/WAYNE-RUP160-Submersible-Multi-Purpose-Water/dp/B0009X8O2E

Offline NadoBrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 08:00:20 pm »
In 2015 Mark said the below on HBT. I hope this helps you:

“This is Mark from Mark's Keg Washer. There is a one-year warranty on the pump, so if you had a problem before that, get in touch. Also, if you are out of warranty and want a new pump, I can get one to you for $35 which includes postage (send me an email with serial number on the pump and date of purchase to mark@kegwasher.com).

Sometimes, you can get the pump going again:

Take the pump apart and inspect it, loosen the impeller from the magnet, and put it back together again. It might come back to life.

Pop off the front cover, stick your fingers in the spokes of the impeller housing and twist counterclockwise about 1/4 turn. The whole thing should come apart.

Remove the impeller/magnet from the axle (don't lose the little rubber tip that comes on the end of the axle). The impeller has almost half a turn of play between it and the magnet before it hits a stop. It should be fairly loose. If the impeller isn't loose, rotate it back and forth on the magnet till it loosens up a bit. Some people have even used food grade silicone to get it to rotate better.

Note: the magnet and impeller are one assembly, they don't come apart. If they are in 2 parts, then it is broken and needs replacement.

I'm not sure how the impeller and magnet work together, but I have seen that if they are too stiff, the pump wont work.

Let me know how it works for you or if something inside is broken. Most of the time, when a pump stops working, it's the impeller.

I have also seen people lose the little rubber tips which hold the axle on the center axis. Unfortunately, I don't have spare rubber tips. I have seen the little rubber tip fold over in the impeller cover which also causes the pump not to work.

One last thing, sometimes people use really hot water with the pbw and it triggers the thermal switch in the pump. If that happens, unplug, let it cool for a while and it will jump back to life. The coils in the pump are cooled by the water going through the pump, so if the water is really hot, problems occur. Using hot water out of the tap doesn't seem to be a problem

The pumps are fairly simple and really tough, not a lot of things can go wrong with them.

Mark”

I read the documentation on the pump and the damage the magnetic shaft has experienced is beyond a simple repair and would require being replaced. The unit itself works, but the shaft is in two pieces.

Is this close to what Mark's pump is?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006M6MS4C

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 10:22:55 pm »
I’d shoot him a note and see what he says.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk