Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry yeast expiration date  (Read 4211 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Dry yeast expiration date
« on: December 11, 2020, 12:45:33 pm »
LHBS had some outdated S-189 lager dry yeast dated 12/18. At $9.95 a package I can see why it has sat around.

Thoughts on viability and vitality

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Dry yeast expiration date
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 12:56:49 pm »
LHBS had some outdated S-189 lager dry yeast dated 12/18. At $9.95 a package I can see why it has sat around.

I have used very old dry yeast with success before. But, I don’t know how to know viability without a starter or pitching in your batch and waiting. Are you feeling lucky?

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 01:13:23 pm »
I hope he wasn't selling the expired yeast at that price.  My LHBS sells me recently expired yeast at over half off (usually for $1 or $2, if just out of date).  If you could pick up a couple sachets of the 12/18 exp. date, I would give it a try (again only if you get it deeply discounted).

I am not sure how he did it, but Jamil put together a viability factor for dry yeast in his Mr. Malty calculator....

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 01:25:27 pm »
I know a fellow brewer who routinely uses dry yeast ~2 yrs past its printed expiration date. He reports no problems with it. I have not used dry brewing yeast this old but I have used bakers yeast that was 6 yrs past its printed expiration date, and it made perfectly good bread. Yeah I know, totally different strains, not an apples-to-apples comparison, but the point is that dry yeast is hardy as hell. Two years old should be fine.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 01:33:34 pm »

I have used very old dry yeast with success before. But, I don’t know how to know viability without a starter or pitching in your batch and waiting. Are you feeling lucky?

Feeling lucky? Not at that price or the not so generous $2 off discount!! LOL

Online BrewBama

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 02:07:44 pm »
Even though I feel like you’d be OK even though it’s past it’s expiration, you can get S-189 for $8 + free shipping from Label Peelers. It won’t be expired. Unless -189 is critical to your beer, Diamond may be an alternative at $5.30 + free shipping.

Depending on the wx where you are, it might be cool enough to even risk ordering liquid yeast online. I won’t do it in the Summer here in AL but in the winter I am not as concerned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 02:14:33 pm by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 02:55:00 pm »

My feeling lucky comment was in regards to your question “Thoughts on viability and vitality”. I guess I assumed you bought it. Sorry.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 02:57:33 pm by tommymorris »

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 02:55:28 pm »
Even though I feel like you’d be OK even though it’s past it’s expiration, you can get S-189 for $8 + free shipping from Label Peelers. It won’t be expired. Unless -189 is critical to your beer, Diamond may be an alternative at $5.30 + free shipping.

Depending on the wx where you are, it might be cool enough to even risk ordering liquid yeast online. I won’t do it in the Summer here in AL but in the winter I am not as concerned.

I found it on Adventures in Homebrewing for $5.36 that was with shipping. I also visited the Fermentis website and they claim the yeast when properly stored ( i think it was 15c) will last 36 month.

I haven't used S-189 and I am looking forward to trying it.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 02:57:47 pm »

My feeling luck comment was in regards to your question “Thoughts on viability and vitality”. I guess I assumed you bought it. Sorry.

No worries!! I probably would have had he given a much better discount. He wanted $7 and I found it on AIH for $5.36

Cheers!!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 02:58:07 pm »
Williams has it for the same as 34/70 and Diamond - all are $4.99

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Home-Brewing-Supplies/Yeast/Dry-Beer-Yeast/DRY-LAGER-YEAST
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 03:17:41 pm »
Properly stored, I see no problems using dried yeast expired for 2 years.  I've done it and it works fine.  You can double the pitch rate or brew a smaller batch if you are concerned.  But I wouldn't even worry about that, at least not stored in my own refrigerator that long.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online BrewBama

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020, 03:18:51 pm »

I found it on Adventures in Homebrewing for $5.36 that was with shipping. I also visited the Fermentis website and they claim the yeast when properly stored ( i think it was 15c) will last 36 month.

I haven't used S-189 and I am looking forward to trying it.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 04:59:05 pm »
This is just me, but unless they gave-it-away, I would steer clear of it.
Why take a chance? Just like beer on the store shelf that is past it's pull-date. Stay away!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2020, 05:19:11 pm »
I would agree, it basically shouldn't cost anything at this point.  If more than a dollar I wouldn't buy it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2020, 05:44:39 pm »
This is just me, but unless they gave-it-away, I would steer clear of it.
Why take a chance? Just like beer on the store shelf that is past it's pull-date. Stay away!

Agreed!