Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry yeast expiration date  (Read 4083 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Dry yeast expiration date
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2020, 11:32:29 am »
Two batches ago I brewed a bitter with Muntons  that had a 11/16 date. It worked fine.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2020, 01:30:28 pm »
Two batches ago I brewed a bitter with Muntons  that had a 11/16 date. It worked fine.

I love Munton's ale yeast because it's so damn cheap.  I think my last pack was... wait, I can even look it up..... heh.... $1.13, including tax!  And made a  great stout that won a gold.  I should use it way more often.  The "drawback" is the terrible attenuation, I got just 56%.  But hey, if the beer tastes good, who cares.  Could always increase the OG and/or do an overnight mash (low & slow = the way to go) to help compensate for the low attenuation.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2020, 01:39:04 pm »
I know a fellow brewer who routinely uses dry yeast ~2 yrs past its printed expiration date. He reports no problems with it. I have not used dry brewing yeast this old but I have used bakers yeast that was 6 yrs past its printed expiration date, and it made perfectly good bread. Yeah I know, totally different strains, not an apples-to-apples comparison, but the point is that dry yeast is hardy as hell. Two years old should be fine.

Pah, I've made bread with dry yeast that was 18 years past it (at ambient as well, not fridged) - it didn't quite rise as much as fresh, but it still basicly worked.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2020, 03:14:31 pm »

I love Munton's ale yeast because it's so damn cheap.  I think my last pack was... wait, I can even look it up..... heh.... $1.13, including tax!  And made a  great stout that won a gold.  I should use it way more often.  The "drawback" is the terrible attenuation, I got just 56%.  But hey, if the beer tastes good, who cares.  Could always increase the OG and/or do an overnight mash (low & slow = the way to go) to help compensate for the low attenuation.
That level of AA sounds like some of the old Ron Pattinson recipes. Those English strains get some remarkably low AA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2020, 11:10:23 am »
I know a fellow brewer who routinely uses dry yeast ~2 yrs past its printed expiration date. He reports no problems with it. I have not used dry brewing yeast this old but I have used bakers yeast that was 6 yrs past its printed expiration date, and it made perfectly good bread. Yeah I know, totally different strains, not an apples-to-apples comparison, but the point is that dry yeast is hardy as hell. Two years old should be fine.

Pah, I've made bread with dry yeast that was 18 years past it (at ambient as well, not fridged) - it didn't quite rise as much as fresh, but it still basicly worked.

We have baked bread with yeast that was 1 year out of date. Results? Should have bought fresh yeast.

Single data point.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2020, 11:34:57 am »

I got 69% in a bitter: 1.034-1.0105, and 68% in a mild: 1037-1.012.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2020, 05:11:46 pm »
That level of AA sounds like some of the old Ron Pattinson recipes. Those English strains get some remarkably low AA.

Bear in mind that a lot of Ron's attenuations are based on pre-racking gravities, they went down lower in the cask.

Also the malt wouldn't have been as well converted as modern malt.