Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sierra Nevada Celebration  (Read 9307 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Sierra Nevada Celebration
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2020, 10:14:27 am »
Reviving an old thread just to say...

I picked up a 12-pack of 2020 Celebration.  Great hop flavor. But, I prefer Sierra Nevada Torpedo over Celebration. It’s a much smoother bitterness. Torpedo is easier to drink.

It's all preference.  I avoid Torpedo, but I'll take as much Celebration as I can get.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2020, 03:07:03 pm »
I always look forward when Celebration is available it's a great beer!!!

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2020, 01:33:27 pm »
I've never really liked Torpedo either. I'm not really sure why. Just never liked it. Celebration is great though.
Jesse

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2020, 08:51:55 am »
I always look forward when Celebration is available it's a great beer!!!

Yeah, same here.  I've gone through a fair bit of it already.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2020, 04:16:15 pm »
Just tapped a clone of this and it was 91% 2 row and 9% C-60.  I need to give it a little more time, but I'm thinking I just don't like that much C-60 in a beer.  Freely admit I don't have a great palette as I can never taste what my wife can taste in food, but there is just something I don't care for.  However, I'm willing to give the beer some time as it was a bit under carbed when I tasted it yesterday. 

BTW, Torpedo is just OK to me.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2020, 08:53:57 am »
Just tapped a clone of this and it was 91% 2 row and 9% C-60.  I need to give it a little more time, but I'm thinking I just don't like that much C-60 in a beer.  Freely admit I don't have a great palette as I can never taste what my wife can taste in food, but there is just something I don't care for.  However, I'm willing to give the beer some time as it was a bit under carbed when I tasted it yesterday. 

Do you like Celebration?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2020, 07:12:13 am »
I’m learning that maybe my tastes have changed over time.  Going back 4-5 years ago I really did like it.  Had a bottle of it after finishing some remodeling work at my Mom’s and I thought it’s good, but not great.  That’s not saying it’s a bad beer, because I have full respect for SN and the beers they make.  I also wanted to make something to spread a little holiday cheer this year (bottled 1/2 of it) and thought this would be familiar to a lot of people.  I think the beer I made is really close, just not to my liking as much as I had hoped.  I’m also going through a bit of a Pilsner phase where I just love drinking those.  Nice ramble, huh?

Offline jverduin

• Cellarman
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2020, 08:01:10 am »

I made a batch based off Steve Dresler’s interview with the, “Can you Brew It” podcast crew. He gave out most of the recipe details and I assumed a decent amount of gypsum in the water.

Mine matched well on color and hop flavor and aroma, but the crystal malt is much more prominent. I’ve done a variation probably 6 different times trying to get it closer but when trying different crystal malts (I think he just said a British crystal at around 60 lov) I still get a fairly strong toffee flavor.

Celebration was one of my first hoppy beers in the late 90’s. Still look forward to it each year. I don’t dislike Torpedo, but don’t gravitate towards it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk