Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is ‘The Homebrew Shop’ on Amazon legit?  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Jayborracho

• Cellarman
Is ‘The Homebrew Shop’ on Amazon legit?
« on: December 15, 2020, 03:51:26 pm »
Always wondered this, been weary of getting supplies off of Amazon, seems like anything on there is usually poorly constructed and not the right material, anyone have insight?

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
Re: Is ‘The Homebrew Shop’ on Amazon legit?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 05:06:42 pm »
There stuff looks expensive to me and I've never ordered from them.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 07:13:34 am »
After looking at it I see that it is about 5 miles from where I grew up! Keep in mind that anyone with a product to sell can open up an Amazon store front but this has the look of a small LHBS attempting to gain an online presence through Amazon.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 10:11:44 am »
Any store front (digital or otherwise) that prominently features a Mr. Beer kit should be viewed with massive suspicion.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 07:46:01 am »
Any store front (digital or otherwise) that prominently features a Mr. Beer kit should be viewed with massive suspicion.

Is there a valid reason behind this statement?

Mr. beer is a legitimate product that has been a prolific seller for many years. There is a definite market for the product line and there is profit to be made selling it. Businesses are there to make a profit, as evil as that might sound to those who don't understand basic economics.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 08:41:40 am »
ive ordered a few things off amazon for homebrewing before, iodophor (on sale and cheaper than OHBS), hop spider (slightly cheaper than OHBS), and a 1gallon glass jug.

it generally is much more expensive for everything though. online homebrew shops do generally have a shipping cost, but imho they end up being way, way cheaper, and likely much fresher even with that included.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 02:40:31 pm »
I agree with FTC, I find some things easier to buy on Amazon.  More often than not, I'm better off at Midwest/Northern Brewer in Minnesota or online from MoreBeer or AIH. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2022, 10:29:38 pm »
i bought a submersible wort chiller off amazon and am very happy with it so far.  Cannot say I have bought much more than that.  Austin Home Brew and Morebeer have been my go to.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 08:54:17 am »
I always try and visit other retailers before amazon.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 07:09:22 am »

Is there a valid reason behind this statement?

Mr. beer is a legitimate product that has been a prolific seller for many years. There is a definite market for the product line and there is profit to be made selling it. Businesses are there to make a profit, as evil as that might sound to those who don't understand basic economics.

I have to agree with Bob.  Many of us got our start with Mr. Beer and I see no reason why it cannot be legitimately be sold on Amazon.  In fact, I have purchased Mr. Beer Root Beer mix on a few occasions and have been perfectly happy with the purchase.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉