Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Late Addition Hops in the Boil  (Read 3053 times)

Offline Don Rasmussen

• 1st Kit
Late Addition Hops in the Boil
« on: December 16, 2020, 05:45:05 pm »
Brewed a 5.5 gallon IPA with late addition pellet hops.
Immersion wort chilled to 62 degrees 1 hour after flame out.
Could only pour off 3 gallons of clear wort, the remaining wort
in the boil kettle was a mucky mess. I'm thinking of scrapping
late addition hops altogether.....any ideas?

thanks
dr

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: Late Addition Hops in the Boil
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 06:47:01 pm »
Couple of ideas... Use a hop spider. Whirlpool. Don't worry about trub getting into your fermenter. Cold crash. Use gelatin.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 06:48:03 pm »
Been there, done that, many times. Here are some ideas:

Brew a larger batch, knowing that you'll lose some wort to hop absorption. Alternately, come to peace with the lower yield for hoppy recipes.

Use an autosiphon or racking cane. Over the "out" part of the tubing, zip tie pantyhose stuffed with whole cone hops. This works as a jerryrigged hop back and will filter out most of the kettle gunk.

If you ferment in buckets, look into bucket filters (like this https://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=fs5 ). You can pour through it to catch more of the gunk and end up with more wort in the fermenter.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 07:58:05 am »
I do late hop additions with pellets all the time and can't whirlpool since my kettle has a false bottom and I draw from the center when cooling through myt plate chiller.

Another idea is to invest in a fine mesh bag like the BIAB ones.  That will keep most of the hop residue in the bag and not in your kettle.  Remove the bag and let it drain into the kettle before you chill the beer.  It works great for me.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 04:29:26 pm »
Another idea- use whole hops for those late additions.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 01:59:04 pm »

thanks
dr

Yes, we have ideas! Use only whole leaf hops. That's what we use, and never have any issues with the murky / muddy / sludge that you are experiencing.

I am biased towards whole leaf hops and there is a reason.

Performance is first. They also act like a natural filter bed in the bottom of your boil kettle.

And whole hops are readily available certain times of the year. When they come in, we stock up!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 02:02:27 pm »

thanks
dr

Yes, we have ideas! Use only whole leaf hops. That's what we use, and never have any issues with the murky / muddy / sludge that you are experiencing.

Performance is first. They also act like a natural filter bed in the bottom of your boil kettle.

And whole hops are readily available certain times of the year. When they come in, we stock up!

OTOH, I use only pellets and don't have that problem, either.  My kettles don't require a filter bed.  I used to be a whole hip snob, brewing in the hop growing territory of the PNW.  The the best brewer I know convinced me to try pellets and I've never gone back to whole.  They stay fresher longer and take up less room to store.

And I'm not trying to change your mind...just point out another point of view. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2020, 10:41:35 am »

thanks
dr

OTOH, I use only pellets and don't have that problem, either.  My kettles don't require a filter bed.  I used to be a whole hip snob, brewing in the hop growing territory of the PNW.  The the best brewer I know convinced me to try pellets and I've never gone back to whole.  They stay fresher longer and take up less room to store.

And I'm not trying to change your mind...just point out another point of view.

Just like when you need a doctor, always good to get another opinion.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 11:06:19 am »
I haven't used whole hops in so many years I can't remember when. I far prefer pellet hops over whole hops for all the reason's Denny mentioned. They definitely stay fresher longer and store better and they are far easier to use and have less wort absorption. They do work well for filtering out trub, but only if your kettle is designed not to clog with them.

Aside from Sierra Nevada I'm not really sure how many commercial craft breweries are using pellets either. If you have a favorite commercially made IPA chances are it was made with pellets.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 02:11:23 pm »
I haven't used whole hops in so many years I can't remember when. I far prefer pellet hops over whole hops for all the reason's Denny mentioned. They definitely stay fresher longer and store better and they are far easier to use and have less wort absorption. They do work well for filtering out trub, but only if your kettle is designed not to clog with them.

Aside from Sierra Nevada I'm not really sure how many commercial craft breweries are using pellets either. If you have a favorite commercially made IPA chances are it was made with pellets.

And there is my problem, as I don't do IPA's, commercial or otherwise.

But here is a related question...is there any reason hops cannot be added after flame out, say around 100 degrees F? I don't dry hop, but am interested in very late hop additions. Again, we are talking whole leaf.

Whole leaf hops store very well, in nitrogen sealed bags. When I open up a bag, the left over hops are then vacuum sealed in another bag. They last a long time.

It's been so long since we used pellets, can't remember when it was! Is my bias showing?  ;D
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 02:14:31 pm by TXFlyGuy »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2020, 03:22:44 pm »
Check out "hop stands" - lot's of us have experimented with different temperature WP. I have tried 160F for a couple hours. Once I did an overnight hop stand as well at several different temps using a PicoBrew (I don't recall the numbers exactly) I've never tried one at 100F but I'm sure someone has.

I don't mean to imply that you shouldn't use whole hops especially if your system is designed to work with them. But I think it would be a mistake to say or think that whole hops are superior to hop pellets in most cases.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2020, 08:47:57 am »
For several years In was realkky really into hop stands and whirlpool hopping.  But I eventually decided that they were poor subs for what I get from dry hops.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2020, 05:14:07 pm »
Here is a late addition, with 10 minutes left in the boil.
Note the nice filter bed they formed, and all of the gunk that gets filtered out of the chilled wort. There is a false bottom, and it catches what gets past the hops.
But I'm sure those who use pellets get the same results, maybe even better.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2020, 07:48:40 am »
I actually have 2 kettles, one designed for whole hops and one designed for pellets. If I swap the style of hops in either one it would clog or cause problems during the knockout. So kettle design would be the very first consideration on what hops to use.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 12:47:42 pm »
My preference is to use whole hops with a false bottom.  It is an order of magnitude easier to use than dealing with pellet sludge.  That being said, whole hops and really hoppy beer translates to significant wort loss. Luckily, my preference is for non-really hoppy beer.  What made me switch to pellets was Mark Garetz getting out the business.  I prefer to purchase hops as close to grower as possible and Hops Direct only sold whole hops by the pound, which is too much of one variety for my use (Mark used to sell whole hops by the half pound). Plus, shipping is cheaper for pellets.  I know that people are going to think that I am crazy, but the bitterness from whole hops comes across as rounder/smoother than it does with pellets. Plus, something is lost oil-wise during pelletization.  Not only can I tell, but my friends asked me what changed when I switched over to using pellets.  If using a counterflow chiller was not such a pain in the backside compared to using an immersion chiller, I would go with the process used by the Peter Austin and Partners system breweries; namely, pellets in the kettle followed whole cones in a hop percolator (hopback).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 02:37:29 pm by Saccharomyces »