Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Northern brewer vs brewers best.  (Read 1576 times)

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
Northern brewer vs brewers best.
« on: December 18, 2020, 05:38:08 am »
I am looking to up my game, and brew 5 gallons kits. So far the two that I am leaning towards is brewers best and northern brewer looking for pros and cons of both of there kits. Thanks in advance. A little info about my self for the last few months I have been using mr.beer kits. Last few brews have been partial mash kits.  Again thank you all I have learned so much here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Northern brewer vs brewers best.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 05:59:39 am »
I don't know anything about Brewers Best kits or which are better but I have looked at some of the kit recipes on MoreBeer.com and NorthernBrewer.com and they look pretty solid to me. I don't brew kits and never have but I will say that it does seem nice to be able to simply get all your grain and hops measured and ready to go.

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 06:19:40 am »
When I started out with extract brewing, my go to kits were from Northern Brewer. They have a "We've got your batch" satisfaction guarantee, where they will replace any kit, no questions asked.

I did try Brewers Best Mexican Cerveza, which came out pretty good. The kit contained bottle caps and a small dose of lime peel.

You are safe either way.
Na zdrowie!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 06:44:06 am »
Overall I think Northern Brewer kits have slightly better recipes and greater selection.  However I have brewed a few Brewer's Best kits and they also turned out well.  Either way is good.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 08:36:52 am »
My LHBS sells kits that it assembles from award winning brews - really good I might add.  As to Brewer's Best Kits, they are perfectly fine, as are Northern Brewer or any of a number of online sellers.  I don't think you can go wrong, but realize that you are taking the DME and LME with the water that it was made with and may justify a slight water change for any particular style - I have seen that little bit of tweaking help, but it is really by trial and error (unless you can find a source of information for the DME and LME water profiles from the manufacturer).  Good luck with your kits and enjoy your homebrew!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 08:48:00 am »
When I first started out I used Williams Brewing kits. I have used Northern Brewer and More Beer kits as well. I thought all of them turned out well.  I can say they all produced the beer as advertised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 09:03:35 am »
Thanks guys for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 10:09:06 am »
Kits that are put together in house tend to have fresher ingredients. All things equal, I'd choose Northern Brewer's kit.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV