Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hofbrau - A Brewery Tour  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Hofbrau - A Brewery Tour
« on: December 15, 2020, 10:01:21 am »
We toured this brewery last January. This is where I learned they harvest their yeast through 3 generations.
Awesome beer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KTe6K5B6k8

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Hofbrau - A Brewery Tour
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 01:46:24 pm »
Cool behind the scenes stuff. I wish there was more of the inside of the brewery.
Jesse

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 04:09:14 pm »
I agree, although it was still interesting. Can’t find any dedicated brewery tour videos, most of them showing the famous restaurant with their name.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 05:19:43 am »
We did a few brewery tours in Belgium and Germany in 2019.  The European breweries our guide took us to all had Brewery Museums that you can tour but none of them actually took you into the brewery. 

The beer after the tours were great!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 06:14:57 am »
We did a few brewery tours in Belgium and Germany in 2019.  The European breweries our guide took us to all had Brewery Museums that you can tour but none of them actually took you into the brewery. 

The beer after the tours were great!

Paul

We toured several breweries in Germany, Czech Republic, and The Netherlands. In each case we toured the actual brewery. There was a nice museum in Pilsen. And the Heineken Brewery Museum in Amsterdam.

Yes, all of the beers were awesome...even the Heineken.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 10:01:13 am »
It's all a front, the brewery that this guy got to see probably wasn't the REAL Hopfbrau brewery ;) It's a facade! What are they putting in that beer???
Jesse

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 11:26:16 am »
It's all a front, the brewery that this guy got to see probably wasn't the REAL Hopfbrau brewery ;) It's a facade! What are they putting in that beer???

The brewery in the video is the exact same brewery we toured, with dinner and beer provided in the brewery dining room after the tour. This was not the famous Hobrau Haus restaurant, it was the actual brewery just outside of Munich.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 08:15:32 pm »

The brewery in the video is the exact same brewery we toured, with dinner and beer provided in the brewery dining room after the tour. This was not the famous Hobrau Haus restaurant, it was the actual brewery just outside of Munich.

It is in the Munich city limits, in an industrial area from the looks of the map, the Address says Munich. If not in Munich city limits, no Oktoberfest for them.

Paulaner had to find a place for their new brewery in the City Limits. The story I heard was they wanted to keep a brewpub in the city, build a new brewery outside. The Committee that runs the Oktoberfest said that wouldn't fly, they found a site on the edge of the city, but in the city limits.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 09:53:24 am »

It is in the Munich city limits, in an industrial area from the looks of the map, the Address says Munich. If not in Munich city limits, no Oktoberfest for them.

Paulaner had to find a place for their new brewery in the City Limits. The story I heard was they wanted to keep a brewpub in the city, build a new brewery outside. The Committee that runs the Oktoberfest said that wouldn't fly, they found a site on the edge of the city, but in the city limits.

Allow me to rephrase my statement:

The actual brewery is located outside of the city proper, being in an industrial area. It was a good bus ride, plus a taxi cab ride to get there from our Hotel located in the actual city. Yes, inside of the city limits, geographically speaking.

There is no direct train service to the brewery, making getting there a challenge.