Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A nice toilet merlot perhaps  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
A nice toilet merlot perhaps
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 07:16:23 am »
That’s a little town between here and Fort Payne across the TN River.

When the story broke on local news I was wondering why all the hubbub. It’s just a guy making homemade wine. Then realized the 15 gal ‘in home’ rule. There’s also an annual limit but I forget what it is — something like 200 gallons for a married household. This was several gallons over the limit and was on city property so definitely not ‘in home’.

If they were selling it that brings in the tax laws. AL is crazy about their liquor tax. Permits for it being not ‘in home’ — aka commercial — with all the rigermarol that comes with it was circumvented as well.

My guess is an unhappy customer or a scorned woman spilled the beans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 07:39:49 am by BrewBama »

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Re: A nice toilet merlot perhaps
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 07:19:45 am »
I was wondering who narced him out. I'm pretty impressed by that set up TBH. I did a lot of work in the dothan alabama area at the nuclear plant and one of the local union brothers had an off the chain delicious water melon wine he was selling!

Pennsylvania has some strange laws and state stores aswell but generally they pay "decent" to work there from a service industry stand point.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 07:24:06 am by Oiscout »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 08:02:24 am »
I was wondering who narced him out. I'm pretty impressed by that set up TBH. I did a lot of work in the dothan alabama area at the nuclear plant and one of the local union brothers had an off the chain delicious water melon wine he was selling!

Pennsylvania has some strange laws and state stores aswell but generally they pay "decent" to work there from a service industry stand point.

I live in Alabama (Huntsville) and am from PA (Mechanicsburg) so I know exactly what you mean about weird PA alcohol laws. The laws were even worse here in AL when I first moved but now they are much better than PA. sure do miss buying a case at the Beer Distro though.

Sucks for the dude but #1) Dumb ass for selling it and #2) Dumb ass for doing it at work. Idiot.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 08:11:16 am »
I live in southern york county. Where everything is two hours away lol.

Definitely screwed the pooch doing it at work.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 08:22:24 am »
I worked in York for about 2 years (York Daily Record and York Dispatch). Small world.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 08:39:42 am »
It is, I grew up in NJ/GA then work and love brought me to York county of all places. TBH I don't much care for it here but career wise it was a wise move.what brought you down to Alabama?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 08:43:09 am »
My dad worked for the Army and he moved here and I followed a while later because Central PA is a hard place to live. Huntsville, AL is a really nice place to live ... for the most part.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 08:58:13 am »
I'm finding the job market here increasingly shrinking especially if your not a warehouse worker or forklift operator that is for sure. I always liked going to Alabama for work good bbq nice people for the most part

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 10:08:25 pm »
Huntsville is blowing up. It's on track to be bigger than Birmingham in the next few years. And it's back in the running for US Space Force headquarters.

Oh, and there are a lot (compared to Montgomery) of craft brewers.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2020, 11:11:15 pm »

I live in Alabama (Huntsville) and am from PA (Mechanicsburg) so I know exactly what you mean about weird PA alcohol laws. The laws were even worse here in AL when I first moved but now they are much better than PA. sure do miss buying a case at the Beer Distro though.

Sucks for the dude but #1) Dumb ass for selling it and #2) Dumb ass for doing it at work. Idiot.
What was he thinking acting like he lives in a free country. I’d hang that jury so fast! Though I agree he’s an idiot for a variety of reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2020, 06:42:05 am »
Huntsville is blowing up. It's on track to be bigger than Birmingham in the next few years. And it's back in the running for US Space Force headquarters.

Oh, and there are a lot (compared to Montgomery) of craft brewers.

I've seen Huntsville come a very long way since I moved here in 1993 and I'm proud to have been one of the vanguards of the craft beer emergence here with Yellowhammer Brewing.

What was he thinking acting like he lives in a free country. I’d hang that jury so fast! Though I agree he’s an idiot for a variety of reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]

I illegally homebrewed hin Bama long before I even knew it was illegal. I would, of course, "never" attempt to do the other illegal "extension" of brewing .... err, at least I would never admit to doing it and I certainly wouldn't sell it if I did.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 07:05:22 am »
It is truly remarkably dumb that he did this at work, and not even in an office or other private space.
If he did this at home, even selling it to a reasonable circle of people he knew, it would be hard to get caught. What he did made getting caught, and losing his job, inevitable.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2020, 07:32:36 am »
I illegally homebrewed hin Bama long before I even knew it was illegal . . . . I certainly wouldn't sell it if I did.

Lots of folks stretch the still-exceptionally-restrictive Alabama homebrewing laws. But doing it on govt property and selling it? 🤔

While it does seem a bit extreme that this amounts to felony charges, he should def lose his job for misuse of govt property. That's like day-one ethics training stuff there.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline BrewBama

A nice toilet merlot perhaps
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2020, 07:38:26 am »
... I would, of course, "never" attempt to do the other illegal "extension" of brewing .... err, at least I would never admit to doing it and I certainly wouldn't sell it if I did.

Don’t tell. Don’t sell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 07:40:16 am by BrewBama »