Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP590  (Read 820 times)

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
WLP590
« on: December 19, 2020, 10:53:30 am »
I'm about to use WLP590 for the first time.  Anyone with experience with it have any pointers or info?
If reading about homebrewing is your thing, join Brewer's Book Club at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/754108348475546/

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
Re: WLP590
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 01:57:00 pm »
This yeast has become my favorite saison yeast. I like to start fermentation at 62f-64f for a day or two. The I ramp it up to 80F+. Enjoy!
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline dc.scotia

• 1st Kit
Re: WLP590
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 07:18:02 am »
I've used this yeast for several years and with a variety of ingredients. It is easy to work with and dries out nicely, but I don't find it to provide any particular flavors or aromas that are characteristic to it alone. Some have said apple and pear, though I don't notice it over the usual belgian aromatics. I use Lallemand Belle Saison on occasion, and it is okay as well. I've even tried the two together. I find them easier to get results that I want starting in the low sixties and ramping as well, though, I don't usually have the beer finish at 80F. Perhaps this is why I have not noted the apple or pear notes? I don't use the Wyeast or other White labs saison yeasts any more, though I recall WLP565 being more finicky but better than 566. My friend used to prefer 585, which hasn't been available for a while. Best wishes!