Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A Little Krampus Help  (Read 1678 times)

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
A Little Krampus Help
« on: December 21, 2020, 09:33:57 am »
So, on December 6th I brewed up a Krampus Klaws that I found online somewhere - maybe a couple slight adjustments just based on what I could find at the local - I may have underpitched slightly at the start. It was moving but then leveled out. I gave it a swirl - that first spike - and then bumped the temp a bit. More O2 and a bit later I decided to repitch another starter - the second spike -. I think the starter finally got throughout the beer as it rose back up to 1.072 via my tilt at this time but wondering if there are any more suggestions as I've done everything I know.. I have better idea for next time but wondering if I can save this one. The brewday was..... Well

At one brewery I was at, the assistant brewer suggested I throw some kviek in there... I'm not opposed to that but I also am one of those old school brewers who resist change I like my classic yeast and have not been convinced on this new stuff.

Cheers!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
Re: A Little Krampus Help
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 10:26:05 am »
Take a real hydrometer sample.  Something looks awry with Tilt.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 03:01:35 pm »
It's functioning properly but I can retest it tonight when I start messing around with the beer stuff.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: A Little Krampus Help - stuck fermentation
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 08:35:27 am »
What are the yeasts your used? 9.7% ABV may be pushing your yeasts beyond what they want to do. K1-V1116 is a champagne yeast that can eat maltotriose so that might work for you; it is a killer strain so you won't be able to try any other beer yeasts afterwards.

I don't tend to do multi-rest mashes so take this with a grain of salt, but your two mash temps seem low so they may have left a lot of dextrins. Assuming you got a lot of dextrins, you could add some glucoamylase, Belle Saison yeast or other diastatic yeast. I would expect them to work slowly.  One way to verify that your fermentation is done, i.e., lots of dextrins, is to do a fast ferment test. I've never done one b/c I'd rather make an educated guess (fun) than be scientific (boring).

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 08:58:21 am »
That's a good point. I've never brewed this before and kind of just jumped on what was written. I used S-189 initially then when the shop didn't have any the repitch was 34/70.. now that makes me wonder.. I already have different plans for V2 but was trying to run wild...

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 08:18:21 pm »
Any update?

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 08:23:37 pm »
I did not find the K1-V yeast you mentioned locally, and haven't made an order online. A buddy had a wine yeast that I tried, RC 212, which may have been a waste.. After making the starter and pitching, I did a little research and found out it may have been a bad idea but it's still sitting in the chamber... Just waiting... I was going to go out to a city with a shop tomorrow.. don't know if they will be open but will swing by and check the selection. Almost a month in, figured one more go and if it fails, I guess I had a good run. Has some sweet cultures in it, though

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 11:02:22 am »
I was listening to a podcast last night and I was thinking about freezing the beer if I can't get it to progress.. why? Idk lol but on the podcast they had several "eisbocks".. so, I might be able to reduce some waste.. unless it's really bad

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 10:21:23 am »
Any update?
I just ordered the K1-1116 yeast from MoreBeer.. after it arrives, that will be my last attempt with yeasting... Maybe I should quit as it's been almost month but I've got nothing else going on (besides the two other fermenters that are bubbling away).

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 09:55:24 am »
Here goes nothing!! Well, I hope something..

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 05:08:48 pm »
The beer is dead.. FML... I opened it up to add the new pitch and... so much for buying the new yeast..

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2021, 11:47:17 am »
Ooowwwch
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 12:58:35 pm »
You can say that again!  Along the lines of this picture, does anybody have a mop/sponge product that they can recommend for chest freezers?  I just cleaned mine out mid-winter with a synthetic, ShamWow-type mop and was not pleased with the absorbancy.  I was cleaning a defrosted chest that released a lot of ice water from ice build up and it would have been nice to have more absorbancy at the mophead….
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 05:01:17 pm »
I prefer a wet/dry shop vac.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 06:37:54 am »
I prefer a wet/dry shop vac.
Been there, done that. For any spill larger than a couple of handfuls of paper towels this is the simplest option.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer