Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smack packs  (Read 1563 times)

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
Re: Smack packs
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2021, 02:33:28 pm »
I have never successfully "smacked" the envelope open in a smack pack. I've tried repeatedly. Watched videos, etc.

That said I have always had very fresh yeast that took off like a rocket, so it hasn't really been an issue. Just annoying that I haven't figured this out.
I've found it works best to trap the packet in a corner of the package.  Then keep it there with one hand and use the heal of my other hand to compress the packet and pop it.  Some are more difficult than others but trapping it always gets the job done.

Paul

I've sometimes struggled just a bit with the smack part of the equation - difficulty getting the packet to burst rather than shoot off to one side - but generally like the smack pack yeasts just fine. There was the one time I applied too vigorous a force to it and blew the corner out. Still managed to salvage yeast though ;D
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 02:55:48 pm »
I have never successfully "smacked" the envelope open in a smack pack. I've tried repeatedly. Watched videos, etc.

That said I have always had very fresh yeast that took off like a rocket, so it hasn't really been an issue. Just annoying that I haven't figured this out.
I've found it works best to trap the packet in a corner of the package.  Then keep it there with one hand and use the heal of my other hand to compress the packet and pop it.  Some are more difficult than others but trapping it always gets the job done.

Paul

I find if the packet has started to swell at all it can be very difficult to trap and pop the internal pouch.

In which case, why bother?  If the packet is swollen, you already know the viability.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 03:27:19 pm »

Paul

I find if the packet has started to swell at all it can be very difficult to trap and pop the internal pouch.

In which case, why bother?  If the packet is swollen, you already know the viability.
How’s that?  If the pack arrives slightly swollen and I stick it in the fridge and don’t use it for a month, how do I know what condition the yeast is in?  I have taken packs out of the fridge that are still slightly swollen.  I doubt that is a sign of active yeast.