Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pre made wort for starters  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: Pre made wort for starters
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2020, 11:41:53 am »
I've used wort from brew day to make a vitality starter with good results.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2021, 11:14:20 pm »
I now use Propper Starter too.  Yes, more expensive but way easier IMO.  I still boil for 15 min tho.  Don’t trust just adding bottled or distilled.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2021, 07:57:08 am »
I have been pressure canning starter wort for about five+ years. When I started I would do a mini mash of 1 pound of 2-row to a little over 1 gallon of water. I would then add a dash of yeast nutrient and calcium then pressure can at 15 psi. This worked well but was time consuming but it made 4 quarts of starter at a time that can be stored without refrigeration. Now a days I do no sparge so after emptying the mash I add 1+ gallon of RO water to it and pressure can that for starters. It comes out in the 1.030- 1.035 range for SG, perfect for starters. I use them according to their color, red and dark wort for Reds and dark beers and light wort for the light beers. This kind of makes up for the lower efficiency of no sparge.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2021, 10:47:12 am »
I now use Propper Starter too.  Yes, more expensive but way easier IMO.  I still boil for 15 min tho.  Don’t trust just adding bottled or distilled.

i add distilled water for various purposes in small amounts to cooled wort and even fermented beer.

i know what you mean, i sometimes feel uneasy about it. but ive had zero infections from it and no perceptible issues.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2021, 04:20:32 pm »

i add distilled water for various purposes in small amounts to cooled wort and even fermented beer.

i know what you mean, i sometimes feel uneasy about it. but ive had zero infections from it and no perceptible issues.
I'll be perfecty honest, I don't boil any of my starters unless I'm working with a very low cell count (like stepping up bottle dregs). DME in jug, water from the fridge dispenser, shake like hell, pitch yeast. I know I'm rolling the dice, and I'm not going to suggest that others should do this, but I honestly feel that the risks are quite minimal when starting with a large cell count. I've never had any issues that I've detected, and I have no hesitations about continuing to do this.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2021, 04:53:28 pm »

I'll be perfecty honest, I don't boil any of my starters unless I'm working with a very low cell count (like stepping up bottle dregs). DME in jug, water from the fridge dispenser, shake like hell, pitch yeast. I know I'm rolling the dice, and I'm not going to suggest that others should do this, but I honestly feel that the risks are quite minimal when starting with a large cell count. I've never had any issues that I've detected, and I have no hesitations about continuing to do this.
With Propper Starter or in general? I never boil my Propper Starter. Just use it with bottled water and go from there. Beer is really resilient. They were making it forever before they knew what could ruin it lol

I'm sure it would be unrecognizable from beer today, but I wish I could taste the first beers/beer like beverage. I'm just curious. I'm sure if they drank our beer they would be confused as to what the hell kind of sorcery we used.

Edit: man, I should really proof read what my phone let's me write. Several of those didn't even make sense lol

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 08:52:48 pm by allenhuerta »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2021, 08:05:10 pm »

With Popper Starter or in general? I never boil my Property Starter. Just use it with bottled water and go from there. Beer is really resilient. They were making it forever before they knew what could ruin it lol

In general. I don't bother with Propper Starter because I just toss DME in water right out of my fridge. Livin' on the edge  ;D
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2021, 08:48:40 pm »

With Popper Starter or in general? I never boil my Property Starter. Just use it with bottled water and go from there. Beer is really resilient. They were making it forever before they knew what could ruin it lol

In general. I don't bother with Propper Starter because I just toss DME in water right out of my fridge. Livin' on the edge  ;D