Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Harvesting Verdant dry yeast?  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
Harvesting Verdant dry yeast?
« on: December 22, 2020, 04:43:23 pm »
I made a batch of beer a couple months back and tried some Lallemand Verdant on it. I thougth I'd save the yeast and make a starter for next time. The starter seemed to make beer and although the latest batch is still in dry hop, the few small taste tests along the way seemed to taste fine to me.

I was watching a youtube video the other night on harvesting yeast and the guy said that dry yeast was not meant to be harvested. I think he said that the drying process the dry yeast goes though puts more stress on the yeast than the liquid form and isn't meant to be re-harvested. It's a "one and done" operation.

I figure if it doesn't stink, it's probably fine? What experience have ya'll had with harvesting dry yeast?

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Re: Harvesting Verdant dry yeast?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 04:47:06 pm »
There are a lot of things you shouldn't do but time and time again everything I learned about brewing is changing. I've never reused dry yeast, but I know those that have..

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 05:05:33 pm »
You can definitely reuse dry yeast. I have used yeast slurry from dry yeast many times without any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 05:51:28 pm »
I have repitched dry yeast a ton and to no ill effect.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 11:58:09 pm »
I use dry yeasts almost exclusively and harvest regularly as well. Once the yeast has been through a ferment, it's no different than liquid yeast.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 10:24:54 am »
That is incorrect information that is based on old data.  While fluidized bed drying is indeed hard on yeast cells (which is why we do not enjoy as much variety with dry yeast as we do with liquid yeast), the reason why dry yeast used to be a no-go with repitching had to do with the level of contamination commonly found in dry yeast cultures.  Basically, dry cultures used to pick up microflora other than the target strain during the propagation and drying processes.  The problem with repitching any yeast culture with low levels of contamination is that every propagation event is a chance for non-target strain microflora to grow as well.  That being said, dry yeast propagators figured out how to produce dry cultures with a high level of purity in the mid-nineties.  Dry yeast is routinely serially repitched today.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 02:20:44 am »
Thanks all - and thanks for the great explanation, Sacchromyces