Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wheat for Head  (Read 6509 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Wheat for Head
« on: December 23, 2020, 01:55:38 pm »
I bought several pounds of white wheat malt. In hopes of improving head, in the retention department.

How much does it take in a 10 gallon batch?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Wheat for Head
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 02:04:02 pm »
I bought several pounds of white wheat malt. In hopes of improving head, in the retention department.

None.  https://web.archive.org/web/20090809234712/ttp://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 02:36:02 pm »

None.  https://web.archive.org/web/20090809234712/ttp://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques

In the excellent article referenced by Denny it says:

My experience has been that, if you are having problems with forming a head, adding wheat malt doesn’t help. (On the other hand, if you are already getting decent foam, adding wheat can increase the amount and longevity of foam.)

The question asked in this post was about increasing the longevity of the foam, so wheat might help. The same article says that 1 lb per 10 gallons is the amount generally recommended.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 03:22:15 pm »

In the excellent article referenced by Denny it says:

My experience has been that, if you are having problems with forming a head, adding wheat malt doesn’t help. (On the other hand, if you are already getting decent foam, adding wheat can increase the amount and longevity of foam.)

The question asked in this post was about increasing the longevity of the foam, so wheat might help. The same article says that 1 lb per 10 gallons is the amount generally recommended.

No problems with the initial pour, with plenty of thick foamy head. Subsequent pours are not as long lasting, or quite as thick. Just looking for a way to lengthen the duration a bit. Not a problem, just looking to do even better.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 04:05:01 pm »
if subsequent pours have poor foam I reckon its oils from your lips on the glass

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 04:31:05 pm »
if subsequent pours have poor foam I reckon its oils from your lips on the glass
Took the words right out of my mouth

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 04:32:56 pm »
Yeah, if the first pour is OK then the problem is not with the beer. Try a fresh glass for the successive pours and see if that helps.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 08:34:04 pm »
Could be a carb/temp issue. My first pours are a bit foamy compared to subsequent pours over a session. The faucet is warmer when I first get to it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 08:42:48 pm by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 06:24:54 am »
Could be a carb/temp issue. My first pours are a bit foamy compared to subsequent pours over a session. The faucet is warmer when I first get to it.

Exactly my first thought. First pour can be extremely foamy depending on your draft set up which can give a lot of foam. Subsequent pourings may not be as foamy. Definitely rinse the glass and see if that is an issue.

Wheat can help enhance head retention but, like Denny's post says, it's not going to fix poor head retention. Fermentation temps, low pitching rates, draft problems, etc. have to be fixed first. Then if you have decent head retention you might notice wheat enhances that.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 06:44:10 am by majorvices »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 06:57:33 am »
Yeah, if the first pour is OK then the problem is not with the beer. Try a fresh glass for the successive pours and see if that helps.

I'll have 4 clean glasses all lined up ready to go. The first pour is always "heady", thick and long lasting. The next pour will be much less so. I can induce more head with my tap, and I do this sometimes.

My towers are chilled with forced air.

This phenom has been observed over the many years of having draft beer available at home. I have seen it in commercial bars also.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 07:00:16 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2020, 07:26:41 am »
A lot of time though it is because of the bubbles in the line. A good bar tender will pour out the first coupe of ounces unless it's a heavy flowing tap. If it sits for a while it's a good bet it will be more foamy.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2020, 07:47:22 am »
The key word that makes a real difference in Denny’s assertion, is ‘malt’.

Wheat malt has minor head building capability. But raw forms of wheat and barley have excellent head-building, beta-glucan content.

Beta-glucan content is significantly reduced during malting and that is an important goal and result of the process. Beta-glucan is typically an undesirable component in malt since it creates haze and clarity problems in finished beer. But it is useful for head building and head retention.

While raw barley actually has more beta-glucan content than raw wheat, I find the flavor of raw wheat more neutral than raw barley. I prefer to use a raw wheat product in my beers to aid head for that reason. A quarter pound per 5 gal batch is more than enough for voluminous head.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 11:54:58 am by mabrungard »
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2020, 09:50:04 am »
A lot of time though it is because of the bubbles in the line. A good bar tender will pour out the first coupe of ounces unless it's a heavy flowing tap. If it sits for a while it's a good bet it will be more foamy.

Correct. Did I mention that I won the "Best Pour Contest" at the Heineken Brewery, in Amsterdam?

They teach (like you stated) first open the tap, and let it run free for a couple seconds. Then place the glass under the flowing beer. That way, you always get fresh beer vs. beer that has sat in the lines.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2020, 10:21:22 am »
Congrats on the award!
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2020, 10:44:57 am »
Congrats on the award!

Thanks! It was a lot of fun, with 3 other contestants. Right there in the brewery. Of course, we drank the beer we poured!