Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Preparing brewing liquor with phosphoric acid  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Ian

• 1st Kit
Preparing brewing liquor with phosphoric acid
« on: January 03, 2021, 06:48:35 pm »
Help! I read in Gordon Strong's 'Modern Homebrew Techniques' that he adds "about 1/4 tsp of 10% phosphoric acid per 5 gallons of RO water to achieve a pH of 5.5 at room temperature" ...... "to reach a good mash pH of about 5.1 to 5.3 (with a pale grist)". However, my recipe software - Brewer's Friend - indicates I need substantially more 10% phosphoric to achieve the same effect, more like 1/2 tsp per gallon! Am I misunderstanding something or making a mistake?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Preparing brewing liquor with phosphoric acid
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 07:49:00 pm »
Help! I read in Gordon Strong's 'Modern Homebrew Techniques' that he adds "about 1/4 tsp of 10% phosphoric acid per 5 gallons of RO water to achieve a pH of 5.5 at room temperature" ...... "to reach a good mash pH of about 5.1 to 5.3 (with a pale grist)". However, my recipe software - Brewer's Friend - indicates I need substantially more 10% phosphoric to achieve the same effect, more like 1/2 tsp per gallon! Am I misunderstanding something or making a mistake?
Are you adding any salts like Gypsum that help bring down the pH? If now, then you may find that you need more acid. The Brewer's Friend calculator is pretty solid in my experience; if you're getting a funky result I'd doublecheck that your inputs are correct.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Ian

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 08:11:35 pm »
Thanks for your help. Yes, I do have some gypsum, epsom salts and calcium chloride in the recipe (4 g, 2g & 6g respectively), but still need 10 ml phosphoric (ca. 2 tsp) to hit 5.3 pH - a long way from the suggested 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons. I can't find any errors in my inputs, but wouldn't rule that out.

For background I've been all-grain brewing about 3 years, initially with well water (high alkalinity), which was fine for darker beers, then decarbonating that, and progressed to RO water with salts added for a target profile and pH. Using phosphoric to adjust RO water as a starting point sounds very attractive/simple, but the math doesn't seem to work for me.

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 03:01:39 pm »
Get the Bru'n Water spreadsheet and never look back.
AHA Member 900001775

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 04:13:16 pm »
Get the Bru'n Water spreadsheet and never look back.

^^^^^ this.

And I will add not all RO water is the same. Some can be like distilled, almost, and some have a bit of bicarbonate to contend with.

If you have a pH meter, use it to find out what you need.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Ian

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 07:30:40 pm »
Thanks guys, especially re checking the RO water pH; my system is small so possibly changing. I check periodically thru' the mash, but was looking for an easier set-up. Anyway, on to the brew tomorrow ;)