Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wheat for Head  (Read 6609 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Wheat for Head
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2021, 09:22:55 am »
Foam and head retention can be enhanced by proper mashing techniques, healthy fermentations, spunding, and hop oils. Wheat can help but you can get great long lasting foam without it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 08:11:20 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2021, 09:34:26 am »
Totally. My best head foaming beers have had no wheat.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2021, 09:37:36 am »

+1

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2021, 09:52:34 am »
Foam and head retention can be enhanced by proper malting techniques, healthy fermentations, spunding, and hop oils. Wheat can help but you can get great long lasting foam without it.

Not sure what you mean by "proper malting techniques"...

And without a healthy fermentation, I'm thinking head retention would be only one of a whole host of problems.

I certainly agree that wheat malt is not required for long lasting foam.  But I do get great long lasting foam using wheat malt without spunding or an abundance of hop oils.  Of course, I assume this means my fermentation is healthy, my mash is favorable, my glass is clean...among many other things. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2021, 11:50:11 am »

Reference: Duvel
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Wheat for Head
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2021, 01:32:03 pm »

Multi-step mashing is used by Belgian brewers with their less-modified continental malts. The multi-step mash accounts for the rich head and full attenuation.

American-made Belgian-style ales don’t often do true Belgian ales justice with single-infusion mashes and well-modified malts.

171*F (77*C) - prolonged rest (>= 10 min) aids foam and denatures enzymes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 01:36:06 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2021, 06:31:40 am »

Multi-step mashing is used by Belgian brewers with their less-modified continental malts. The multi-step mash accounts for the rich head and full attenuation.

American-made Belgian-style ales don’t often do true Belgian ales justice with single-infusion mashes and well-modified malts.

The absolute best Belgian Beer is only found in Belgium. No other replica comes close...at least of the ones I have tried here.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2021, 09:04:56 am »

The absolute best Belgian Beer is only found in Belgium. No other replica comes close...at least of the ones I have tried here.

Then you need to get around more!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2021, 12:01:44 pm »

Got around Europe plenty, including Belgium. I stand by my statement, best Belgian beer is found in Belgium. And I am not a fan. Tried Belgian beer from the Celis Brewery, started by a Belgian family. Drank one beer, and then gave the 6 pack away. Could not drink it.

For those who really enjoy the style, you must go to Belgium. Put that on your "bucket list".

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2021, 12:42:56 pm »

Got around Europe plenty, including Belgium. I stand by my statement, best Belgian beer is found in Belgium. And I am not a fan. Tried Belgian beer from the Celis Brewery, started by a Belgian family. Drank one beer, and then gave the 6 pack away. Could not drink it.

For those who really enjoy the style, you must go to Belgium. Put that on your "bucket list".

I agree the best Belgian beer is found in Belgium...actually, only on Belgium.  But there is amazing Belgian style beer made by American breweries.  Because you have not encountered it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2021, 05:06:57 pm »
I've been using Briess Carapils Copper Malt in some of my beers lately.  At first I thought it was a kind of gimmick malt but I really like the silky smoothness it creates and you will get a bit of color and depth.  But it also has some outstanding head formation and stability qualities.  With just 4 ounces (often around 2.5% of the grist for me) I get some great fluffy heads on my beers. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2021, 06:25:15 pm »
Or if you dunk your cheese burrito into your beer
What about bean burritos?

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2021, 07:45:38 pm »
...If you ... keep your glassware squeaky clean wheat malt, etc., will help aid or boost that head retention...
[/quote]

I have found that the best way to clean a glass is to fill it with beer and drink it. Even an imperfectly cleaned glass that has a lot of bubbles on the side the first time will be spotless for the second pour.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2021, 04:53:16 am »
author=Richard link=topic=36198.msg454572#msg454572 date=1610073938]
...If you ... keep your glassware squeaky clean wheat malt, etc., will help aid or boost that head retention...

I have found that the best way to clean a glass is to fill it with beer and drink it. Even an imperfectly cleaned glass that has a lot of bubbles on the side the first time will be spotless for the second pour.

Gross. That's a sign of dirty glass. I will pour that down the drain, clean it and get another pour.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2021, 07:16:23 am »
To check for a clean glass even just out of the dishwasher I do the old salt method. Wet the inside of the glass with water, dump out excess water. Then hold the glass at a 45 degree angle and sprinkle salt down the sides of the glass. Where ever the salt doesn't stick has oil or needs cleaned. I know the old timers know this but I thought it might help newbies to kegging. cheers.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln