Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling a chocolate milk stout with lactose  (Read 961 times)

Offline Sraymond

• 1st Kit
Bottling a chocolate milk stout with lactose
« on: January 11, 2021, 09:35:52 pm »
Looking for a recommendation on how to best bottle a chocolate milk stout we have in primary right now. Added 1lb lactose at the end of the boil of a 5gal batch. Currently it’s finishing out its primary fermentation but I’m noticing considerable fallout, more than I’d expect from a regular sed pellet. Any chance some of this is the lactose settling out? If so any recommendations when bottling? Rack off and leave the whole sed pellet behind? Try to resuspend some of this? OG was great even with accounting for the lactose.

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Bottling a chocolate milk stout with lactose
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 05:21:13 am »
I get that too. I rack off that sediment to a keg. The sediment makes for great aromatherapy.  :)
Roger

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 06:20:16 pm »
Unclear to me what is meant by fallout and sed pellet (flocculation and sedimentation?), but unless you found scorched clumps of gunk stuck to the bottom of your kettle when you cleaned up, all the lactose would have dissolved. It has no bearing on when you decide to bottle. Bottle when the FG is stable over 2+ days and you don't taste diacetyl or acetaldehyde.

Offline Sraymond

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 08:59:45 pm »
Unclear to me what is meant by fallout and sed pellet (flocculation and sedimentation?), but unless you found scorched clumps of gunk stuck to the bottom of your kettle when you cleaned up, all the lactose would have dissolved. It has no bearing on when you decide to bottle. Bottle when the FG is stable over 2+ days and you don't taste diacetyl or acetaldehyde.

I think that gets at my question -whether any of the lactose would have been insoluble and mixed in with the sediment at the bottom of my fermenter. But there was no scorching in the kettle so it’s safe to assume the lactose is fully dissolved and not settling to the bottom?

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 08:48:01 am »

I think that gets at my question -whether any of the lactose would have been insoluble and mixed in with the sediment at the bottom of my fermenter. But there was no scorching in the kettle so it’s safe to assume the lactose is fully dissolved and not settling to the bottom?

The lactose would have been 100% dissolved. It doesn't become insoluble and settle out once in the fermenter. It stays dissolved.