Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Year's Resolutions 2021 edition  (Read 3333 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Brew Year's Resolutions 2021 edition
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2020, 05:46:02 am »
My main goal is to build a dedicated brewery this year. I have a space in my cellar but I need a 240v outlet, plumbing, and an exhaust system. I have my electrician stopping by to look at it this morning. I will probably do the plumbing myself. I will need to pump up to a drain.
Beer wise I want to focus on having lowish abv beers on tap. Lots of English ales but also euro lagers for summer and session IPAs. I used to poo poo session ipas as I didn’t like what I tried but I have had some good ones lately.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 07:32:48 am by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2020, 06:00:00 am »
Thanks for sharing, I have always taken this time of year to reflect on my brewing and think of something or things that I want to change, improve on, incorporate into my process,etc and I have done a lot of that over the years. I didn't brew a lot this year, probably the least I have in all my years of brewing so that is kind of first on my list for next year is to brew much more than I have this year and last. I am happy with my process, things I am doing and the beers I am making so if there is one thing to keep in mind for next year, it is to experiment a bit more. I have spent a lot of my brewing focused on "true to style" recipes and although I do take my brewing seriously (I always set out to try to make it the best beer I can), I just want to have a bit more fun and experiment as I do so. I am also going to start off the year brewing smaller batches like I used to, it means I can drink the stuff faster and move through beers I want to make a little easier, with more opportunity to experiment along the way.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2020, 08:30:02 am »
Mine is to brew at least 30 batches in 2021.  That will get me to 400!  Might have to rely on my wife, neighbors, and friends to help me drink it all!

Happy New Year to everyone on this forum.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2020, 09:10:02 am »
I resolve to take homebrewing even less seriously than I do now and to try to hold on to the fun.
I second this. I also resolve to brew better beer and to brew a beer style I haven't brewed before.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2020, 09:30:20 am »
I just want to brew in 2021!  I did make a batch on a 5g BIAB system I made.  This style of brewing isn't for me I guess.  Back to Ol' Faithful and bigger batches.
My wife has been on the frontline treating patients.  I've never seen anyone with such stamina.  I knew in Dec last year it was serious when she broke out the elliptical and started getting in shape. There just wasn't an opportunity to brew.  I'd get a starter going and another provider would get sick, in she would go. I have a 13 year old at home learning too,  so C-19 hit the road please.
One thing I've learned is that buying commercial is difficult.  I hadn't bought beer much for years.  There is a lot of crappy beer out there. I tried so many Hazy beers, that is hit or huge miss.  I'm not in a beer mecca for sure. 
2021 is time to get back to drinking what I like. I can't wait for a big batch of 021 Kolsch, My IPA, Saison, and a Tripel with 3864! I'm stocked and ready to roll.  Funny how you brew and fit your taste.  Finding those on the shelf is so difficult.  I look forward to having those back in stock.

Happy New Year Everyone!  May 2021 Be Better Than The Last!   
Jeff B

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2020, 10:25:08 am »
I resolve to take homebrewing even less seriously than I do now and to try to hold on to the fun.
I second this. I also resolve to brew better beer and to brew a beer style I haven't brewed before.

Someone asked me recently if I wanted to open up another brewery in the next year or so. And, I may. But they asked if I missed out on all the "fun". I told them "Brewing is business, HOMEBREWING is fun."

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2020, 10:32:30 am »

Someone asked me recently if I wanted to open up another brewery in the next year or so. And, I may. But they asked if I missed out on all the "fun". I told them "Brewing is business, HOMEBREWING is fun."

I'd say "homebrewing is supposed to be fun".  I see many take it too seriously.  I was one of them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2020, 11:20:17 am »
resolution for 2021, using 100% domestic hops and find a suitable domestic replacement for Weyermann Barke Pils malt

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2020, 12:44:35 pm »

I'd say "homebrewing is supposed to be fun".  I see many take it too seriously.  I was one of them.

I guess for me, I enjoy it more when I take it seriously. But that may suit me better than others. One thing I don't do is force others to take it as seriously as me. That can get contentious and the fun is gone.

I figure, if I'm going to brew beer, I want to brew it the best I can. I enjoy the challenge of improving my beers every year. Sometimes I do and other years I don't. When it losses it's charm, I'll bow out.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2020, 06:22:30 pm »
I plan on trying some new things and keeping with what works for me. My wife has developed some gluten intolerance and I don’t need to brew as often, but I plan on making more mead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2020, 09:21:19 pm »
My resolution is to continue to brew the beer I like, regardless of what others like.  I want to make good beer as that is a fun challenge.  I do want to lay off the beer a bit in the new year as my waistline is not appreciating the run we’ve had the last nine months.  Like most areas of my life, I want to listen more and speak less.  You know, the rest of the world has a ton to offer if I just get out of the way.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2020, 05:01:28 am »
My resolution is to continue to brew the beer I like, regardless of what others like.  I want to make good beer as that is a fun challenge.  I do want to lay off the beer a bit in the new year as my waistline is not appreciating the run we’ve had the last nine months.  Like most areas of my life, I want to listen more and speak less.  You know, the rest of the world has a ton to offer if I just get out of the way.

+1.  Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2020, 06:17:00 am »
I don't make New Year's Resolutions most years.  The big bang promises never work for me.

If anything, I plan to brew down my inventory of grains and hops.  I got a bit carried away last year when out LHBS closed up.  I bulked up on base malts and such in Omaha during a trip to see Mom before she passed.  Between losing Mom and COVID, my brewing got cut way down.  So this year (at least, at first) is brew with what I have. 

Second step will likely be a Foundry but still noodling on that one.  The new surface planer will have to come first. :)

Here's to a good recovery and more time with friends in 2021!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2020, 01:05:35 pm »
I'm with Paul and usually don't do New Year's resolutions.

For me, in 2021, I want to delve more into lower alcohol beers. I have been doing high ABV brews for a while with an occasional low alcohol beer. I want to reverse that and try doing more and more sub-5% beers. OK, maybe 5.5% but definitely under 6%. Pilsners, altbiers, stouts, schwarzbier, wits.

Ralph R.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2020, 01:30:33 pm »
I've brewed a lot this year after jumping back into brewing full force. I wanna take those beers that I made that were so-so tweak them and make them better.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk