Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Year's Resolutions 2021 edition  (Read 3332 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Brew Year's Resolutions 2021 edition
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2021, 12:59:31 pm »
The past year changed my brewing outlook a bit.  Since the early 90’s my life has pretty much been defined as a brewer and beer judge - as far as hobbies go it was pretty consuming (pun intended).  In 2020 since there were no competitions or in-person club meetings, I shared less beer and entered no competitions, meaning that my brewing sessions were more relaxed and less frequent.  I plan to continue this in the new year.  Although I am not sure if I will be able to opt out of all the duties that have been accumulating for over 25 years, I will certainly try to cut back on that and still make beer for my own enjoyment.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2021, 01:13:00 pm »
The past year changed my brewing outlook a bit.  Since the early 90’s my life has pretty much been defined as a brewer and beer judge - as far as hobbies go it was pretty consuming (pun intended).  In 2020 since there were no competitions or in-person club meetings, I shared less beer and entered no competitions, meaning that my brewing sessions were more relaxed and less frequent.  I plan to continue this in the new year.  Although I am not sure if I will be able to opt out of all the duties that have been accumulating for over 25 years, I will certainly try to cut back on that and still make beer for my own enjoyment.

That's exactly where I've come to, also.  Trying to reclaim my hobby.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2021, 02:33:31 pm »
I will perfect my Rauchbier techniques. Almost there.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2021, 03:53:57 pm »
Nothing much different than 2020

but for me and the stage i'm at in homebrewing and in life it's basically

1. get a grasp on untried yeasts and determine if i'd like to keep using them
2. prepare more practical brews that have less lesser-known variables in them. more 5% beers with high sessionability.
3. try out a very fast extract system i've planned out. should be 90 mins max from beginning to wort chilled and in fermentor.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2021, 08:28:19 am »
This year my goal was to share more beer and keep brewing. Organized non contact beer shares every month with the club, so I'll mark that as a success.

Groom someone to take over as club president.

Have fun and dial in my whole process (Recipe formulation to cleanup.) I've been having fun the last few months playing new ingredients, I want to keep that going. Planning on making a few beers with one of Omega's new GMO strains. I want to keep making headway on small improvements-better organization, streamlined bottling, etc. I'm thinking about putting a second dedicated faucet for a bottle rinser/spray wand in the laundry tub.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2021, 11:15:41 am »
For 2021, I aim to:
1) Perfect my German pils recipe.
2) Play with more kveik strains (I had a ton of fun with Omega's Hornindal during 2020)
3) Explore more big beers in small batches -- for a variety of reasons, I like to keep my beers in the <5% range, but enjoy a higher octane brew from time to time. It's not worth making five gallons, though, especially above 7%...8%...9%. Thus, 2.5 gallon batches will be the ticket!
4) Explore more Belgian beer styles -- I've done comparatively little in this universe, and want to see what it has to offer. This is, in part but not entirely, a corollary of #3.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2021, 11:25:23 am »

3) Explore more big beers in small batches -- for a variety of reasons, I like to keep my beers in the <5% range, but enjoy a higher octane brew from time to time. It's not worth making five gallons, though, especially above 7%...8%...9%. Thus, 2.5 gallon batches will be the ticket!
4) Explore more Belgian beer styles -- I've done comparatively little in this universe, and want to see what it has to offer. This is, in part but not entirely, a corollary of #3.

didn't add it as it is probably not going to happen until 2022, but i used to do approximately 3 gallon brews when i had a smaller place. it may seem inconsequential for people with more equipment, but for me, i would love to go back to using 3 gallon carboys. brewday is slightly faster/less feeling like its an olympic event carrying 5gallons around (and i use glass), and faster turnover.

re: 4. definitely try out belgians, I really enjoyed WLP500 last year, am looking forward to trying WLP530 or others this coming year.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2021, 11:43:26 am »

didn't add it as it is probably not going to happen until 2022, but i used to do approximately 3 gallon brews when i had a smaller place. it may seem inconsequential for people with more equipment, but for me, i would love to go back to using 3 gallon carboys. brewday is slightly faster/less feeling like its an olympic event carrying 5gallons around (and i use glass), and faster turnover.

re: 4. definitely try out belgians, I really enjoyed WLP500 last year, am looking forward to trying WLP530 or others this coming year.
That's what in gonna go back to 2.5-3 gallon brews. More brewing faster turnover and I can power through a half batch of beer I don't like instead of dumping 5 gallons

Brew on!!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2021, 01:52:26 pm »
I want to brew an Zebulon this year.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2021, 02:04:32 pm »
I want to brew an Zebulon this year.

?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2021, 02:07:30 pm »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2021, 02:08:35 pm »

www.dennybrew.com

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2021, 02:20:31 pm »
Ebulon is elderberry ale. It was popular in England and was made with first runnings and elderberry so sort of an elderberry barley wine. Its supposed to be port like which I believe because I have made elderberry mead that reminded me of port.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2021, 02:52:06 pm »
Ebulon is elderberry ale. It was popular in England and was made with first runnings and elderberry so sort of an elderberry barley wine. Its supposed to be port like which I believe because I have made elderberry mead that reminded me of port.

Thanks for enlightening me!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2021, 03:00:45 pm »

Thanks for enlightening me!
I am a big fan of Stephen Buhner's Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers,  its a great read although the historical recipes often need to be modernized. I am sure that I first heard of it there. Since I have a lot of elders around and love both the berries and flowers for all sorts of things its been on my radar for awhile.