Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Year's Resolutions 2021 edition  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Brew Year's Resolutions 2021 edition
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2021, 03:55:57 pm »
Ebulon is elderberry ale. It was popular in England and was made with first runnings and elderberry so sort of an elderberry barley wine. Its supposed to be port like which I believe because I have made elderberry mead that reminded me of port.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for enlightening me!
I am a big fan of Stephen Buhner's Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers,  its a great read although the historical recipes often need to be modernized. I am sure that I first heard of it there. Since I have a lot of elders around and love both the berries and flowers for all sorts of things its been on my radar for awhile.

What do you mean by modernized? Are measurements time specific, or not scaled to a home brew size? I've been thinking about checking that book out or eclectic IPA. Kind of waiting to see what the next AHA renewal deal is.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2021, 04:33:42 pm »
Ebulon is elderberry ale. It was popular in England and was made with first runnings and elderberry so sort of an elderberry barley wine. Its supposed to be port like which I believe because I have made elderberry mead that reminded me of port.

Thanks for enlightening me!
I am a big fan of Stephen Buhner's Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers,  its a great read although the historical recipes often need to be modernized. I am sure that I first heard of it there. Since I have a lot of elders around and love both the berries and flowers for all sorts of things its been on my radar for awhile.

What do you mean by modernized? Are measurements time specific, or not scaled to a home brew size? I've been thinking about checking that book out or eclectic IPA. Kind of waiting to see what the next AHA renewal deal is.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Many “recipes” are lists of ingredients with measurements like a “bucket of sage leaves” or “five gallons of ale wort”. This is not a criticism, it’s like that because he reprints a lot of historical recipes and what we think of as recipes is really quite a new concept, like mid twentieth century.
This isn’t a recipe book or a how to brew book but I couldn’t recommend it any more highly, it’s literally the most enjoyable  brewing book I have ever read by a power of 10. It’s not at all a book about how to brew but more an herbal and botanical history and practical guide to using botanical ingredients for flavor and medicine.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2021, 05:32:44 am »
Good luck with the Zebulon...I can’t help but think of Monty Python when I hear Elderberry.  “Your father was a hamster and your mother smelled like elderberry.”  Haha - fun stuff.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2021, 06:35:01 am »
Good luck with the Zebulon...I can’t help but think of Monty Python when I hear Elderberry.  “Your father was a hamster and your mother smelled like elderberry.”  Haha - fun stuff.
That quote gets thrown around at our house all the time when we do something with elderberries or elderflowers.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.