Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: yeast  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Rubensaabad

• 1st Kit
yeast
« on: December 29, 2020, 06:17:15 pm »
it's ok to mix 2 kinds of yeast in fermenter ???
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 06:30:41 pm by Rubensaabad »

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: yeast
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 06:39:20 pm »
Yes. I do it all the time.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 10:26:59 pm »
BYO... Or was it Zymurgy... Or both? had an article about using multiple strains a few years back. I don't remember a lot but from what I think I remember, one strain may take over another but properties of both will be apparent. Just know what you want from the blend rather than just blending. Character, floc, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 08:08:26 am »
+1 to what allenhuerta said. Some strains will either outcompete or even kill other strains. I'm not up to speed on what will or won't. But, for themost part, there is no issue blending strains. In fact, before yeast was isolated, all beers fermentations happened with multiple strains.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 08:10:11 am »
I do this with my Tripel to get my desired FG.  3522 tends to peter out before I reach my target.  I then add BE-256 to the fermenter to finish it off.  It works well for me and I get the drier finish I want.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 08:33:33 am »
I'm considering Windsor/Nottingham for my next Porter.  For those that have used this combination, can I assume you pitch Windsor first, let it get its legs, then pitch Notty?  Is there a trick as to when to add Notty?  At first sign of activity?  High Krausen?  After Windsor poops out?  Rehydrate or straight from the pouch?  (This will be for 3 gallons into fermenter, if that matters.)

Thanks in advance.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 08:56:00 pm »
I'm considering Windsor/Nottingham for my next Porter.  For those that have used this combination, can I assume you pitch Windsor first, let it get its legs, then pitch Notty?  Is there a trick as to when to add Notty?  At first sign of activity?  High Krausen?  After Windsor poops out?  Rehydrate or straight from the pouch?  (This will be for 3 gallons into fermenter, if that matters.)

Thanks in advance.
For a 3 gallon batch I pitch a half pack of each together right from the beginning. I get the flavor contribution I'm expecting from Windsor and better attenuation and flocculation from the Notty. I've never tried pitching the Notty later in fermentation mainly because I haven't seen any need to.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 12:45:06 pm »
Some people pitch Windsor first, but I have pitched both at the start of fermentation.  The delay in pitching Nottingham depends on how much Windsor character you desire.