Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Garden harvest pics....  (Read 9564 times)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Garden harvest pics....
« on: September 05, 2010, 11:49:35 am »
Here is one....

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Garden harvest pics....
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 03:01:23 pm »
Looks great, it's going to be a while until I can harvest much, the weather here has been awful for growing.  I have a few peppers that are ripening, but lots are still growing.  And the tomatoes are all still green too.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 07:13:33 pm »
Shoulda started this thread a month ago - my garden is on the way out already. We started seeds in Feb, planted in April and only have peppers, squash, and cherry tomatos left active in the garden. Just planted another round of chard and lettuce - they like the cooler temps. Gonna whack the hops tomorrow - I get what I get...

I guess it worked out ok. because my harvest came in earlier - and now everything is coming in and is dirt cheap.  :)
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 09:24:41 am »
Our tomato harvest is starting to take off, but peppers, eggplant, and most other stuff has to have more time.  We did have a great harvest of onions, garlic, and potatoes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 12:16:44 pm »
I think we're going to run out of time on our tomatoes and peppers, but we'll get some stuff off of them.  The garlic and leeks have been great though, you're right Denny.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:43:44 pm »
Tom, do you use cloches?  We've found that they really extend the growing season. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 12:51:26 pm »
Planted more seeds for the fall season tomatoes,broccoli ,zucchini, brussel sprouts and next week some corn.

Our spring crop was done a month ago but the peppers made it thur the summer and are popping with peppers.

Must have gotten 100+ lbs of veggies so far, talk about getting my daily fiber intake ;D

Just wish the fall weather would get here faster-- 106f heat index right now :P

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 06:20:35 pm »
Tom, do you use cloches?  We've found that they really extend the growing season. 
Not typically, but I think we're going to this year.  It would be a shame to lose all of the nice tomatoes before they have a chance to ripen.  It's going to need to be some big cover though, the plants got pretty big!

Planted more seeds for the fall season tomatoes,broccoli ,zucchini, brussel sprouts and next week some corn.
Fall season?! :o
Tom Schmidlin

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 07:01:29 pm »
Radishes are long gone.  Lettuce and peas are done, there's a few stragglers with the beans and we're right in the middle of a flood of tomatoes and cucumbers.  I've even got 3 little watermelons coming along.  Banana peppers and cayenne peppers are coming along nicely.  The bell peppers are getting there slowly - I'm not sure I'm going to get much from them.

I'm picking carrots, celery, onions and leeks as we need them and will probably leave the potatoes until close to the end of the month.  The pumpkins are slowly taking over my back yard - why do I keep planting the damned things?
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 07:14:42 pm »
I've picked more tomatoes this year than I have in a long time.  

This is a sample of what I picked today.

Ron Price

Offline 1vertical

• Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 09:56:40 am »
Lookin Good Bluesman,

I dug spuds this morning....got some nice NEW potatoes...

That is all for me ....there ain't no more....frost got the plants, may get some maters I left out on the vine...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 09:58:20 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 10:16:51 am »
I'm envious!  After the wet summer we had in Iowa this year my garden gave up the ghost a week or two ago.  We still have green and red bell peppers as well as jalapenos in the ground but they aren't doing much.  The tomatoes, onions, radishes, peas, kohlrabi and lettuce all drowned out.

My garden would be called low ground by my Dad.  Floods when it rains and then gets hard as a rock when it starts to dry out.  It's the only spot in my yard that gets any sun too.  Next year it may become a shed.   :-\

That's what farmers markets are for I guess.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 10:17:38 am »
Very nice little harvest.  I find it very rewarding to grow and harvest vegetables.
Ron Price

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 11:10:02 am »
I had a garden that I tended to until my youngest son was born in July. Then it went down hill. A few 'maters,
two pumkins. I'm gonna plant some onions for spring harvest...
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 11:36:31 am »
My garden would be called low ground by my Dad.  Floods when it rains and then gets hard as a rock when it starts to dry out.  It's the only spot in my yard that gets any sun too.  Next year it may become a shed.   :-\

That's what farmers markets are for I guess.
That's what raised beds are for.  I built some out of some old firewood, put a layer of the really rotting stuff in the bottom of the bed and then added nice dirt.  The plants seem to like it, at least until this year's weather made them unhappy.

Tom Schmidlin