Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Extending my mash rest past 60 mins seems to be increasing my gravity  (Read 3901 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Extending my mash rest past 60 mins seems to be increasing my gravity
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2021, 09:23:11 am »
0.025-0.030 inch. Thinner (tighter) than a credit card.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind for the next order. Assuming this gap would apply whether it's base or adjunct malts (well, I would assume something like faked oats wouldn't apply)? They usually mix all the grains together unless you ask to bag separately.

A mill is still one of my best investments. My efficiency immediately jumped 8 points and became more consistent once I didn’t have to rely on the lhbs. I rarely go beyond a 45 min mash with normal styles.

To be honest, I've looked at various models on different sites and watched a few videos on the topic but haven't really dug into it deeply. Part of the issue is  the price vs. quality, the other issue is buying grain in bulk.

How long is a 50# sack of 2-row good for? It would take me a good four months to go through one of those. I've read about grain getting old from sitting around but if you have in air-tight container in a dry, cool basement, how long is it good for?

I buy one sack of pils which I use as my base malt for almost everything. Probably lasts me about 4-5 months and I have yet to have any problems with freshness.

I keep less than 10 pounds of Munich I and II around and purchase my specialty malts separately per batch.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 09:27:09 am by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2021, 09:26:02 am »
0.025-0.030 inch. Thinner (tighter) than a credit card.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind for the next order. Assuming this gap would apply whether it's base or adjunct malts (well, I would assume something like faked oats wouldn't apply)? They usually mix all the grains together unless you ask to bag separately.

A mill is still one of my best investments. My efficiency immediately jumped 8 points and became more consistent once I didn’t have to rely on the lhbs. I rarely go beyond a 45 min mash with normal styles.

To be honest, I've looked at various models on different sites and watched a few videos on the topic but haven't really dug into it deeply. Part of the issue is  the price vs. quality, the other issue is buying grain in bulk.

How long is a 50# sack of 2-row good for? It would take me a good four months to go through one of those. I've read about grain getting old from sitting around but if you have in air-tight container in a dry, cool basement, how long is it good for?

I buy one sack of pils which I use as my base malt for almost everything. Probably lasts me about 4-5 months and I have yet to have any problems with freshness.

Lately I've been brewing with malt that's 8+ years old.  Unopened bags, mainly, stored in plastic storage tubs.  The beers have been great.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2021, 09:18:13 am »
I had no idea grain could last this long in storage. I had read/heard something about grain gets old after sitting around for a month or so. That seemed a little questionable though since breweries gotta be buying this stuff by the truckload and storing it somehow.  Good to know, thanks all!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2021, 10:11:25 am »
I had no idea grain could last this long in storage. I had read/heard something about grain gets old after sitting around for a month or so. That seemed a little questionable though since breweries gotta be buying this stuff by the truckload and storing it somehow.  Good to know, thanks all!
Crushed grain definitely has a shorter shelf life, so maybe that's what you were thinking of? Remember that this is an agricultural product that only gets harvested 1-2 times a year. We have beer year round, so at least some of that is made with grain that is close to a year old.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2021, 10:20:00 am »
Crushed grain definitely has a shorter shelf life, so maybe that's what you were thinking of? Remember that this is an agricultural product that only gets harvested 1-2 times a year. We have beer year round, so at least some of that is made with grain that is close to a year old.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

When we did an experiment about how long crushed grain would last, someone contacyednBriess.  They said their pre crushed malt in unopened bags was good for 2 years.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2021, 11:05:43 am »
I believe I read a farmer’s input on another forum where he described the grain’s field to LHBS timeline. If I remember correctly it was yrs long vs months long timeline before we even see it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2021, 12:22:54 pm »

When we did an experiment about how long crushed grain would last, someone contacyednBriess.  They said their pre crushed malt in unopened bags was good for 2 years.

Denny, do their bags have any sort of plastic sheeting that make the sacks air-tight?  I could imagine that any semblance of air-tightness would help longevity.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2021, 12:36:53 pm »

Denny, do their bags have any sort of plastic sheeting that make the sacks air-tight?  I could imagine that any semblance of air-tightness would help longevity.

No idea.  I haven't used Briess in 20 years.  The 8+ year old malt I've been using recently (not precrushed) is Rahr and Best.  Rahr doesnt line the bags.  Don't recall about Best.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2021, 03:32:31 am »

That's probably it. I think the discussion I retained was around extract kits and shelf life but there was a mention of grain so must have been the crushed malts that come with those.