Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg carbonization  (Read 703 times)

Offline cwh

• 1st Kit
Keg carbonization
« on: December 31, 2020, 08:33:47 am »
I checked for obvious kinks in gas line and found none, but of the two kegs, one is at least well carbonated and the other is nearly flat.  I used no sugar for carbonation, just gas at 25# and 30 degree temps. for several weeks.  Whereas I have brewed for a long time, kegging is newer to me.  Any thoughts?  Thanks,  CW

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Keg carbonization
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 08:34:43 am »
Gas Leak?

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: Keg carbonization
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 10:24:39 am »
BrewBama has a good point. Do you check your kegs for leak around the lid and posts before and after filling? Take a spray bottle filled with water and a drop or two of dish soap or even a solution of starsan and spray around all of those fittings. Bubbles, big or small, will reveal the suspect area.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Tummydoc

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 12:10:08 pm »
Still have pressure in your CO2 tank? If you had a leak for weeks, your tank would be low or empty. If your tank still has good pressure, you may have just not seated the gas connector well onto that keg. I have some stubborn ball lock adapters that can fool you into thinking their seated. What are your connections? Ball, pin, or sanke?

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 01:46:47 pm »
You can always check pressurization if the keg has a pressure relief valve- open it and you'll know if you are getting pressure to the keg.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 10:13:02 am »
I have found that the most likely places for keg leaks are at the base of the keg posts where the washer under the dip tubes has deteriorated or a deteriorated o-ring at the top of the keg post.

When I clean m,y kegs, I put about 20 PSI of CO2 on them and store them that way.  When I go to use them, I relieve the pressure, sanitize them and fill them.  Storing them under pressure is a sure way to find out if the keg is leaking before you fill it.  You can then track it sown using the soapy water or Star San (preferred) as mentioned before.

I also lubricate the lid gasket with keg lube when I clean the kegs and pressurize them.  This is just good insurance
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 04:32:25 pm »
Good advice. I also hit the o-rings on my keg posts with some keg lube when connecting the keg to the tap. That's often enough to stop up a slow leak. I've had a lot less surprises with flat kegs and empty CO2 tanks since I started doing that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer